Complete loss of service

Started by zappaDPJ, Oct 13, 2010, 02:21:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

JohnH

Quote from: Lona on Oct 13, 2010, 18:45:10
Have you tried the silent test, John.?  I can't remember what you dial

Just checked Dial 17070

Lona, I have done it many times over the last few days, on both lines. There is a constant audible hum (which James could hear) and it is interspersed with crackles. Sometimes, it is difficult to understand what people are saying.  :(

Rik

I have that trouble all the time.  :whistle:
Rik
--------------------

JohnH

Lona

I had that Bt engineer came out and I didn't get charged.  You can also go onto BT website and have a phone check online.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

JohnH

It won't let you check on the BT site, unless you are one of their customers. My line is with IDNet. I get this:

Sorry, we are unable to perform a line test or accept fault reports online for this type of line.

Lona

Quote from: JohnH on Oct 13, 2010, 20:04:06
It won't let you check on the BT site, unless you are one of their customers. My line is with IDNet. I get this:

Sorry, we are unable to perform a line test or accept fault reports online for this type of line.

Too bad.  That puts the ball back on Idnet's court. :(

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

kinmel

Quote from: JohnH on Oct 13, 2010, 13:30:26
I've been waiting since Friday for BT to fix my noisy line which is causing line drops and loss of sync. Called support several times and they say to give it until Friday which seems a bit long.  :(

I was told the same thing by support last week, even though I told them that 2 neighbours with other ISPs were having exactly the same problem.

Idnet support then "tweaked" my line and then I had to wait 96 hours to see if it settled even though they knew more than just my line was affected.  All 3 lines improved on Friday and so I asked Support to hold off until Monday to see if the improvement continued.  It did not and so at 9am Monday I emailed Support and asked them to get BT to check the line, my email was not dealt with until Tuesday lunchtime and the fault is still on the phone lines now.

I have learnt that emails to Support on a Monday do not get dealt with straight away, so I will telephone if I ever need to deal with Support again.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Simon

Support are two down this week, which does impact on a small team.  That's not making excuses, but it's a reason why they may take longer than usual to deal with queries.
Simon.
--

Lona

Just as well I stayed with BT for my phoneline.  Better the devil as they say. ::)

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Oct 14, 2010, 01:29:33
Just as well I stayed with BT for my phoneline.  Better the devil as they say. ::)
After spending a week once with BT trying to understand my phone issue and failing every day to sort it, I am so glad I made the move away, no long contracts, cheap calls abroad and cheaper calls in the UK for me, and at least the person at CS is someone I understand.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zappaDPJ

Just to update you on what happened, I lost sync on both ADSL and FTTC at the same time. As it happened both appear to have come back quite quickly, probably within 30 minutes. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of that as I had already got a friend out of bed and was headed in his direction to use his Internet. As both lines went down together it was probably exchange work that took me out.

As far as I know I haven't had a problem since but I'm currently having to use my friend's house as an office to finish a job so I can't be sure. What I do know is there's something wrong. The only way we can use either connection is by entering the DNS servers into the TCP/IP settings on any device that we want to connect with. If this can't be done we get diverted to the BT Wholesale URL and mobile phones won't connect via wireless at all.

When I've finished this job I'll look at my options. I have to have a reliable connection or I simply can't pay the bills. I'm not looking to blame anyone but for what I'm paying a month, £65-70 I think, I feel I ought to have far less downtime.

zap
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Now you would think I'd be happy with these results and of course I am. The only problem is it shows what I can get but in reality my average speed on FTTC is exactly 8.38 Mb/s according to an aggregate of speed test results taken since I was connected. Rather amusingly my upload speed for the same period averages exactly 8.39 Mb/s :laugh:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 35501 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 8000-38717 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
   8198 Kbps

0 Kbps   10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8198 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps
zap
--------------------

Rik

Hi Zap

Since I was calling support anyway, I mentioned your issues. They have your line as being rock solid till Monday, then turning flaky. It looks to them like BT are doing work at the exchange - there's quite a rush on at the moment.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Looking at the way BT arranges it's work schedule,you cannot rely on having a connection between midnight and 0600 which is obviously very frustrating for those people who have to work during this time.
Steve
------------

Rik

It is, Steve, and this pattern of work will be going on for months to come. :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

It could be worse - they could just work 9-5.
Simon.
--

Rik

They wouldn't dare. Would they? ;)
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Quote from: Rik on Oct 14, 2010, 10:56:51
They wouldn't dare. Would they? ;)

What Work? :whistle:  By the way any Excuse explanation for BT over the total loss of Idnet services yet? Or are they trying to fabricate an excuse? :evil:
------
Alf :)

Rik

The latter last time I heard, Alf.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Rik on Oct 14, 2010, 10:21:44
Hi Zap

Since I was calling support anyway, I mentioned your issues. They have your line as being rock solid till Monday, then turning flaky. It looks to them like BT are doing work at the exchange - there's quite a rush on at the moment.

Thanks Rik, it does seem to be exchange work given the timing of the outages. I've done a bit of research today regarding the DNS issues I've been having and that one still remains a complete mystery  :dunno:

It looks like switching one of the lines to an LLU service is going to be my best option so I'm looking at that possibility just now.
zap
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

That would be the obvious choice but I'm not sure. Outages aside that line has always been extremely stable and consistent. To put it in perspective, accumulated figures from speed testing put that line at only 0.6 MB/s lower on the down stream than my FTTC. On the other hand I would really miss the low ping and upload speeds. What I really need is to have one line that doesn't touch the local BT infrastructure. Virgin Media cable might be a possibility early in the new year.
zap
--------------------

Rik

That would be the way I'd go in your situation.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Oct 14, 2010, 05:42:44
When I've finished this job I'll look at my options. I have to have a reliable connection or I simply can't pay the bills. I'm not looking to blame anyone but for what I'm paying a month, £65-70 I think, I feel I ought to have far less downtime.

To set the record straight...

QuoteIn a recent post I suggested that I was paying £65 - £70 for my connections. It's been brought to my attention that this is not the case. There was a confusion, mostly on my part over the billing on the two lines. I therefore apologise to IDNet who have in fact gone above and beyond the call of duty in order to resolve a technical issue with my original line.
http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22569.0
zap
--------------------