Second broadband supplier

Started by joe, Oct 21, 2010, 07:59:06

Previous topic - Next topic

joe

In view of the recent problems but not wishing to leave idNet, is it possible to have a second, back-up, ISP?

If so, is the fact that I am now fibre optic (great when it works) does that limit my choice of secondary supplier?

Glenn

Joe, I would think that you will need to have a 2nd line installed before you could have a 'back-up' ISP.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Glenn is correct, BT only allow you to authenticate against one ISP by implementing a service block, if they did not you could in thory log into any ISP in the UK.

joe

OK, thanks for that. I'll just have to hope that idNet can sort out BT or progress the alternate they are considering.

pctech

Think they need to add some more hostlinks to the configuration.

Glenn

I would think, renting a hostlink is an expensive business.
Glenn
--------------------

DorsetBoy

IDNET have already stated that they are going to be using other suppliers in conjunction with BT after this last event  HERE. Spreading load across suppliers is less costly than loss of users in the long run.

If you want a second supplier for emergencies then consider a router like a Draytek Vigor which has Wan2 with 3G onboard.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/3g_solutions.html

pctech

3G is no good in densely populated areas.

Steve

It's no good where I live, too thinly populated to bother with coverage.
I think as an emergency option for those who have 3g coverage it's useful but has the added advantage in that it can be used away from home if required
Steve
------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: pctech on Oct 21, 2010, 09:52:35
3G is no good in densely populated areas.

Why is that Mitch? It seems to work for some I know and gets recommended on the Draytek forum. Have you seen poor results with it?

pctech

Depends what you want to do with it Dorset.

For my day job I support an audio conferencing system used by remote users and its dire for that.

Also seen lots of speed issues on the forums of 3g.co.uk which seem to be related to capacity shortages so as a backup perhaps but you shouldn't expect it to provide the same sort of performance as ADSL/VDSL.

Once LTE launches it will be an excellent backup.