Surge protector advice needed please

Started by Ravenheart, Oct 15, 2010, 20:28:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravenheart

I've tried a few forums asking this same question but got no answer :(, so I'm hoping someone here could help and I'll apologise now for the long post, hope it's easy to understand what I'm trying to do  :thumb:

I had been using this particular surge protector with my PC, the one on this page 4 Socket 4m Extension Lead with Telecom Surge Protection which basically turned out to be pretty sh*t!

Please bear in mind that I didn't know a great deal about surge protectors at the time I bought it but I thought for £13.99 it would be half decent, how wrong was I, well turns out VERY WRONG....

It only lasted about 3 months before the surge part of it stopped working, basically it has a green and red light on it (the green to indicate the surge protection is working) and the green light went out the other day, but nothing happened to suggest there had been a power surge in my house anyway, so perhaps it was just a fluctuation in the mains electricity which blew the surge protector??

Oh and just for the record that particular surge protector I linked to also goes under the name Masterplug in places such as Dixons/Currys etc etc, and is currently priced at £14.99 there as I checked yesterday, but the version of said surge protector WITHOUT the telecom surge protection is only £3.99 in argos 4 Socket 0.75m Surge Protected Extension Lead which obviously proves how sh*t this protector actually is, because they bang on another £10 just to offer telecom surge protection which is absurd!

Anyway,

I've now purchased this one Belkin F9M824uk2m 8-Socket SurgeMaster® Maximum Series, Networking (RJ45), Telephone Surge Protector for £19.85 (not much dearer than the previous one I bought!) and just to go back to the other one I bought, I only thought it was half decent because I'd seen Belkin ones at around the same price as that one so that's why I thought it would be decent, like I said I didn't know a lot about surge protectors at that time and I just thought they all did the same thing which is protect devices from surges, I didn't know anything about Belkin or how good they are!

I now know that the Belkin ones are far superior than the sh*t I'd previously bought and the 5 reviews of the one I bought previously banging on about how good it is clearly don't know how un-informed they really are lol.

So I just need a little information as I'm still fairly new to the whole telecom protection and must admit I didn't use it on the other surge protector I had but I know I should have done! Based on the fact I've since found out that for a P.C to be fully protected against surges ANYTHING connected to it should also be plugged into/run through the surge protector.

Anyway I'm on ADSL and have a Netgear DG834G router and am just wanting some information on how to use the telecom protection,

Basically at the moment I have a LONG extension cable plugged into the B.T wall socket (because my P.C is on the other side of the room to the wall socket and it's too far away to reach without the extension) and plugged into the extension cable is an ADSL filter, into that is the telephone and the modem out cable to my Netgear router,

1) Extension cable from wall socket to the other side of the room
2) ADSL filter/splitter plugged into that
3) Telephone and Modem cable plugged into the splitter and the Modem cable goes into my Netgear router to enable ADSL, then an RJ45 cable goes into my PC from the router, see picture below for the picture of the extension cable and microfilter configuration

But I can't/don't see a way it could go into the surge protector because of the extension cable, any thoughts?

pctech

OK here goes.

Your surge protector will have been supplied with a lead with two telephone type connectors on it. plug one end of this into your telephone socket and the other into the telecom socket on the surge marked in.

Next plug the microfilter into the one marked out.

Plug all your kit into the sockets.

That's it, job done.

Simon

:welc:  :karma:

I've tried to fix your links, none of which actually worked, but the Scan link is incorrect.

Other than that, I can't add to the reply above.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

pctech

Not sure of the situation with the one you have bought but with the Gold series one I have protecting my PC and router I have an unlimited value connected equipment warranty along with a lifetime warranty on the device itself.

After a couple of severe thunderstorms I noticed the 'protected' light (green on mine) was looking a bit weak so I rang Belkin for advice, they told me to send it back and they'd send me a brand new one which they did which also has a lifetime warranty so I'm unlikely to need to buy one again.

pctech

Quote from: Simon on Oct 15, 2010, 21:33:37
Oh, and you might want to have a look at this thread:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22544.0

Ah, yes, personally I'm happy to take a little performance hit to keep the equipment protected but that is obviously down to personal choice.

Steve

Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Ravenheart

Quote from: pctech on Oct 15, 2010, 21:22:23
OK here goes.

Your surge protector will have been supplied with a lead with two telephone type connectors on it. plug one end of this into your telephone socket and the other into the telecom socket on the surge marked in.

Next plug the microfilter into the one marked out.

Plug all your kit into the sockets.

That's it, job done.

Just what I needed to know, thank you :)

I didn't get a lead with two telephone type connectors on it, but I'm assuming you mean something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Phone-Line-Cord-RJ11/dp/B000067RCC

Quote from: Simon on Oct 15, 2010, 21:27:09
:welc:  :karma:

I've tried to fix your links, none of which actually worked, but the Scan link is incorrect.

Other than that, I can't add to the reply above.  :)

Thanks Simon,

I clicked the 2 links to the argos site and they worked, not sure why they didn't for you? But you're right the one to scan is wrong, it should have linked to this Belkin F9M824uk2m 8-Socket SurgeMaster® Maximum Series, Networking (RJ45), Telephone Surge Protector

Quote from: Simon on Oct 15, 2010, 21:33:37
Oh, and you might want to have a look at this thread:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22544.0

Believe it or not I did take a look there first because I know from past experiences if I hadn't searched for similar topics before asking a question 'SOME' forums come down on you like a ton of bricks! But from what I read in the topic you linked to, that doesn't seem to be the case here :)

Quote from: pctech on Oct 15, 2010, 21:36:24
Ah, yes, personally I'm happy to take a little performance hit to keep the equipment protected but that is obviously down to personal choice.

Same here, alway's better to have a bit of a performance hit than have no performance at all if equipment isn't fully protected :D

Quote from: pctech on Oct 15, 2010, 21:34:47
Not sure of the situation with the one you have bought but with the Gold series one I have protecting my PC and router I have an unlimited value connected equipment warranty along with a lifetime warranty on the device itself.

Mine is this one Belkin F9M824uk2m 8-Socket SurgeMaster® Maximum Series, Networking (RJ45), Telephone Surge Protector has a £175,000 equipment warranty on it as well as the lifetime warranty on the device itself so glad to know if there is a fault Belkin will send out a new one :)

And BIG THANKS for all the replies, you guys seriously rock :D :D :D

pctech

Quote from: Ravenheart on Oct 15, 2010, 22:29:23
Just what I needed to know, thank you :)

I didn't get a lead with two telephone type connectors on it, but I'm assuming you mean something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Phone-Line-Cord-RJ11/dp/B000067RCC

Thanks Simon,

I clicked the 2 links to the argos site and they worked, not sure why they didn't for you? But you're right the one to scan is wrong, it should have linked to this Belkin F9M824uk2m 8-Socket SurgeMaster® Maximum Series, Networking (RJ45), Telephone Surge Protector

Believe it or not I did take a look there first because I know from past experiences if I hadn't searched for similar topics before asking a question 'SOME' forums come down on you like a ton of bricks! But from what I read in the topic you linked to, that doesn't seem to be the case here :)

Same here, alway's better to have a bit of a performance hit than have no performance at all if equipment isn't fully protected :D

Mine is this one Belkin F9M824uk2m 8-Socket SurgeMaster® Maximum Series, Networking (RJ45), Telephone Surge Protector has a £175,000 equipment warranty on it as well as the lifetime warranty on the device itself so glad to know if there is a fault Belkin will send out a new one :)

And BIG THANKS for all the replies, you guys seriously rock :D :D :D

I do mean one of those line cords and thinking about it I did buy one of the maximum series for my TV and DVD and I'm pretty sure there was one in there so I'd be tempted to give Belkin a call before you part with more of your hard earned.

Ravenheart

I'll give Belkin a call as I definitely didn't receive 1 in the box unfortunately, shame because I don't have 1 lying around here just in case I ever did need one, of all the cables I have that had to be the one I don't have lol.

pctech

I found their Customer Services (based in Northampton about 20 miles from me) to be very helpful indeed.

Ravenheart

Ok thanks for that,

And I've just been thinking, isn't it this I need not an RJ11 to RJ11,

From the BT plug wall socket to the BT plug input of the surge protector then the ADSL Filter plugged into the output of the surge protector and the phone/modem cable plugged into that??

Sorry if I'm making it overly complicated.

pctech

Unless the design has changed its very definitely an RJ-11 to RJ-11 connector.

Ravenheart

Aah is that what that connector is called then from the BT wall socket to the input of the Surge Protector?

Just asking because RJ11 to RJ11 looks like this apparently http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ICIDU-5m-Telephone-cable-RJ11-Male-RJ11-Male-N30

Sorry I've just re-read my last post and I think I haven't written what I meant properly lol,

Basically in this picture

The part I've labelled with a number 1, it's that I need to be the same at both ends isn't it? That's what it looks like anyway, straight from the BT wall socket into the input section of the surge protector?

armadillo

Quote from: Ravenheart on Oct 15, 2010, 23:44:44
Aah is that what that connector is called then from the BT wall socket to the input of the Surge Protector?

Just asking because RJ11 to RJ11 looks like this apparently http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ICIDU-5m-Telephone-cable-RJ11-Male-RJ11-Male-N30

Basically in this picture

The part I've labelled with a number 1, it's that I need to be the same at both ends isn't it? That's what it looks like anyway, straight from the BT wall socket into the input section of the surge protector?

The connector from BT wall socket to input of surge protector has your connector 1 at both ends and is just called standard BT phone plug to BT phone plug. That is what you need to connect the BT wall socket to the surge protector.

The RJ11 to RJ11 has your connector 2 at both ends.

Looking at the picture of your surge protector, I notice it has two output sockets that look like they might be labelled DSL and take RJ11 connectors.

If so, you can connect the router to a DSL output of your surge protector with a short RJ11 to RJ11 cable. It does not need a microfilter as well. You plug the microfilter into a telephone output socket of the surge protector and plug the phone into the microfilter.

I am assuming that the surge protector is next to your PC and the router and PC are plugged into its surge protected power sockets.

Also bear in mind that those simple flat BT phone plug to BT phone plug connectors (your 1 at each end) pick up a LOT of noise.

I was using one myself when I originally had my router near the PC. I found it introduced enough noise to reduce my sync speed by 1000kbps. Then the surge protector further reduces sync by about 1600kbps. So you could be taking a hit of 2600kbps off your sync speed.

That is why I posted my thread asking about minimum impact surge protection. I had already moved the router near to the phone socket instead of near the PC and run a long Cat5e LAN cable from the router to the PC (a 20m cable). Now it looks like I am going to be moving the router back to the PC again so I can protect it with my UPS (protection against surge and power failure). But avoiding a long BT phone plug to BT phone plug cable is vital. Hence all the help the guys are giving about replacing that cable with a special Cat5e cable.

If you are feeling strong, you may like to reread what they are explaining in my long thread.

Ravenheart

So just to clarify I've got this right I'm going to list in order of how I think you're saying it needs to be done,

1) Connect BT phone plug to BT phone plug into the surge protector
2) Connect my router to the DSL output of my surge protector with a short RJ11 to RJ11 cable
3) Plug the microfilter into the telephone output socket of the surge protector and plug the phone into the microfilter

You're correct as well, the surge protector literally sits behind my PC and the router and PC are plugged into the surge protector.

I'll have a re-read of your long thread as well, see what other information I can get from it.

Thanks for replying :)

pctech

Connect the RJ-11-RJ-11 cable from the BT socket into the socket marked input on the surge protector, connect the RJ-11 from the filter to the socket marked output on the surge protector.

armadillo

Quote from: Ravenheart on Oct 16, 2010, 03:04:59
So just to clarify I've got this right I'm going to list in order of how I think you're saying it needs to be done,

Yes, your list is exactly what I mean. It assumes that the socket market "input" on your surge protector is a BT phone socket and not an RJ11 socket. It is physically impossible to put either type of plug into the other type of socket!

pctech

Think I'm confusing my standards  ;D armadillo is correrct.

Ravenheart

Quote from: armadillo on Oct 16, 2010, 16:48:55
Yes, your list is exactly what I mean. It assumes that the socket market "input" on your surge protector is a BT phone socket and not an RJ11 socket. It is physically impossible to put either type of plug into the other type of socket!

Yeah it certainly is impossible, can't say I've ever tried (or would try) to do it because it's easy to tell what goes where by the sizes of the sockets they plug into lol, so do any of you know where can I get a fairly long one of these please BT 4 Wire Male Plug to 4 Wire Male Plug Telephone Cable :)

Amazon is useless, but I've found one here http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3984 but it's not long enough, could really do with a 5 metre one, 10 would be even better lol.

armadillo

Quote from: Ravenheart on Oct 16, 2010, 20:34:51

Amazon is useless, but I've found one here http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3984 but it's not long enough, could really do with a 5 metre one, 10 would be even better lol.

The simplest thing would be to use that 3m one with the long extension you have already got, or a slightly shorter one. You can get 3m, 5m or 10 m extensions here
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=237

A 5m one of those plus the 3m male to male cable you linked to would give you 8m.

Plug the male end of the extension into the BT socket.
Connect the 3m BT phone to BT phone cable between the extension and the input of your surge protector.

By the way, thanks for that Kenable site.

It turns out to be another source of the cable I am looking for  :laugh:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23_107&products_id=1166

Ravenheart

No probs armadillo,

Glad you found the site useful for what you needed  :)

I have a query now though, my computer is on the other side of the room so I'm connecting to the phone line via a 5 metre extension lead, and plugged into that is this http://www.kenable.co.uk/...info.php?products_id=3984 which is the BT 4 Wire Male Plug to 4 Wire Male Plug Telephone Cable I ordered from the Kenable site and it's that which I've got plugged into my extension lead and the other end of the cable I linked to goes into my surge protectors INPUT connector, the surge protector I'm using is the Belkin one here http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Belkin-F9M824uk2m-8-Socket-SurgeMaster-Maximum-Series-Networking-(RJ45)-Telephone-Surge-Protector and since I've connected the new cable to the surge protector I've gone from a sync speed of 7392 kbps to 8000 kbps! which means I should get an IP profile of 7000, up from the best IP profile I've managed to get in the past which was 6500, the only concern I have is the noise margin now seems a little low (is it too low??) see screenshot below, anyone think the noise margin is now too low or is it perfectly fine??

armadillo

I will be interested to see a reply from one of the many experts (unlike me  :o ).

But my guess is that you probably have a target noise margin of 6dB.

When you synced at 7392, you probably did so at a noisy time, so that 7392 was the fastest it could sync with a noise margin >6dB.

This time, you synced at a quiet time and so got an 8000 sync with margin over 6dB.

But the stats you show were taken at a noisy time again, when the margin had dropped to 5.1dB. I do not think that is a problem, provided you do not force a resync then, because you will probably get 7392 again.

My noise margin drops by about 2dB at various times during darkness but seems to hold up at its maximum during daylight hours. You might try looking at yours in morning daylight. I bet it will be over 6dB.

Now we will wait for someone who knows! I am just trying out to see if I have managed to get a grip of some of this. Routers are new to me. I used to use a modem until I migrated to idnet a month ago, and of course that disconnected every time I restarted the PC.

Rik

Rik
--------------------