UK net is 'not ready' for future

Started by DorsetBoy, Oct 19, 2010, 06:52:05

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetBoy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11551200

QuoteThe UK is slowly climbing up the broadband world rankings, but is still not "ready for tomorrow," according to a global study of net services.

The annual report, commissioned by network giant Cisco, looks at how well countries are doing in terms of both quality and penetration of net services.

The UK is now ranked 18th out of 72 countries, up from 25th place last year.

South Korea is once again ranked first.

The annual study, conducted by the University of Oxford's Said Business School and the University of Oviedo in Spain looks at a range of factors, including both the number of homes to have broadband and the quality of the services.

They had to have a study to arrive at this finding?  5 minutes asking a few people in the average UK town would have told them the same thing, we are already painfully aware that the "net" in the UK is B***** T*******

Gary

When you see some of the countries in front of us its just bizarre that we have fallen so far behind, even with the improvement, you would think they do not have the infrastructure in place to be so far ahead.  Romania, Lithuania and Bulgaria do not spring to mind as countries equipped for a high speed future somehow.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

klipp

The fact that in the year 2010 I am on a 1mb connection with no prospect of an improvement is all the evidence I need.

Technical Ben

Quote from: Gary on Oct 19, 2010, 11:04:27
When you see some of the countries in front of us its just bizarre that we have fallen so far behind, even with the improvement, you would think they do not have the infrastructure in place to be so far ahead.  Romania, Lithuania and Bulgaria do not spring to mind as countries equipped for a high speed future somehow.

I'm guessing it's easier to install 7 million phone lines than it is for 70 million?
Also, when your building new properties, you can plan for this. So developing countries have a bonus, of being able to lay the pipelines/cable/fibre ahead of time. Ours is already laid [to rest] so to speak. This would require us to dig up already existing equipment, find new land (for the boxes) and get the labour force behind it. Would you want 6 months without the net while it's all installed? However, if you never had it to begin with, waiting 6 months is no trouble to get connected.

I also think the study was more like data analyses. They did not study the UK in depth, they probably just went, "UK? Oh, it says 1-5mb average on our list, it goes at the bottom!" ;)
So I agree, but see it's not as simple as it seems. Not that hard work won't give results mind you, we just need to remove that large coffee mug from BT.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Cisco is of course trying to flog networking kit by stating the bleedin' obvious.

Maybe Virgin, BT, Talk Talk, C&W and Smallworld aren't buying enough networking kit.

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 19, 2010, 15:43:30
I'm guessing it's easier to install 7 million phone lines than it is for 70 million?
Also, when your building new properties, you can plan for this. So developing countries have a bonus, of being able to lay the pipelines/cable/fibre ahead of time. Ours is already laid [to rest] so to speak. This would require us to dig up already existing equipment, find new land (for the boxes) and get the labour force behind it. Would you want 6 months without the net while it's all installed? However, if you never had it to begin with, waiting 6 months is no trouble to get connected.

I also think the study was more like data analyses. They did not study the UK in depth, they probably just went, "UK? Oh, it says 1-5mb average on our list, it goes at the bottom!" ;)
So I agree, but see it's not as simple as it seems. Not that hard work won't give results mind you, we just need to remove that large coffee mug from BT.

France did quite well in Paris with installing fibre through the drainage system, and a wifi umbrella over the city, but that little voice yelling "where is the money coming from" was not so prevalent.

Taking the BT mug  ;)  (coffee) away wont do alot of good when the money is either not going to be spent, or simply is not available, and with the depth of cuts we seem to be having I cant see the UK catching up much more.

Most ISPs probably will put less LLU equipment in now anyway, as they have the big urban areas with the greatest financial gain covered, a bit like BT with WBC and FTTC, the other areas will remain low priority no matter what the tech speak spin merchants say.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Its a shame that ISP LLU rollout is going to fall away now with the prospect of fibre being available, if it wasn't for the technical aspects of the technology and the work required I'd suspect that over the longer term they'd start building out again to reduce their operating expenses but at the moment it looks like they are happy to swallow BT's inflated prices.

Maybe when the boom comes again.

Tacitus

Quote from: pctech on Oct 20, 2010, 09:18:07
Maybe when the boom comes again.

According to the Governor of the Bank of England, that's not likely to happen for at least the next ten years....

Technical Ben

Quote from: Gary on Oct 20, 2010, 08:40:14
...a bit like BT with WBC and FTTC, the other areas will remain low priority no matter what the tech speak spin merchants say.
And 21cn. :*(

(Or is that WBC?)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

WBC/WMBC is the product that runs over 21CN.

Bill

QuoteUK net is 'not ready' for future

On today's performance by BT it's not ready for the present :mad: :mad: :mad:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Quote from: Bill on Oct 20, 2010, 17:44:11
On today's performance by BT it's not ready for the present :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aw I went looking for this thread to say that :(

;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Broadback

What really bugs me is the the last improvement had not reached my exchange and now they have started on the next, abandoning the previous, leaving me and thousands other on small exchanges in the wilderness!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Glenn

I wonder what this cable does?  :rant2:
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------