Fibre speed vs distance

Started by Bill, Oct 10, 2010, 00:10:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Oct 10, 2010, 17:18:18
My measure of mismatch, Bill, is when I can't get my trousers on. ;)

The usual meaning of VSWR is Voltage Standing Wave Ratio, I suppose it could stand for Very Stretchy Waist Restraint :whistle:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

esh

How do I find my nearest green box without hiring a helicopter? :) Any suggestions?
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Ask a BT engineer if you see one is about the only way I know, esh. I'm lucky, because mine just at the top of the road, and I've seen BT working there.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Bill on Oct 10, 2010, 16:17:17
'Fraid not. From your link:
My bold.

In an isolated conductor, electricity travels at the same speed ("c", approx 3 x 108 m.sec-1), in a cable it travels slower. If I remember my transmission line theory, typical values vary from about 0.7c in coax to ~0.9c in a flat pair.

In a fibre optic, the light travels at c divided by the refractive index of the glass, so typically about 0.7c

Your right.  :laugh:
So, is it the fact that light is refracted (and so has longer to travel) that slows it down?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

jm_paulin

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 11, 2010, 16:37:58
So, is it the fact that light is refracted (and so has longer to travel) that slows it down?

Albert said: c is always c, regardless of your speed or anything else.
The killer was: The distance between A and B, that is in fact close to infinity....

I then switch to a logic course... when they taught me: 1 + 1 = 1

Technical Ben

Well, you know we are all moving at C right? The only difference is how directly we move to each point. So if you feel your going round in circles you are! (Well, your atoms are anyhow)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

alexwright

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 11, 2010, 16:37:58
Your right.  :laugh:
No, it is due to light being a wave. The material a wave has to travel through makes a difference to the maximum velocity achievable.

Light can slow down to almost pedestrian speeds in the right material. See this link

There is also a type of radiation given off when electrons move faster than the local speed of light:
Cherenkov Radiation
The energy released slows them down to the local speed of light for the medium they are travelling through.

Rik

I feel like I'm sitting in a physics class here. Thanks for all the technical background guys.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------