3-5 Disconnects per night

Started by House, Oct 16, 2010, 14:33:23

Previous topic - Next topic

House

Hi,

I'm getting around 3-5 disconnects every night, roughly between 6pm-Midnight.  It reconnects again very fast, almost as if my router is resetting itself.

I have a feeling that the router is faulty but the fact that it only happens at night makes me wonder if anything else is to blame?

• The router is an old Belkin 54g and I don't have a spare one to test unfortunately.
  • It is connected directly to the master socket, using a filter for the phone.
  • Router light visibly resets, disconnecting me from everything (PC/Laptop/Xbox).
  • Sometimes it won't reconnect itself at all, meaning I have to reset the router manually.  This, however, is rare compared to the number of times it automatically reconnects.

As I said, I have a feeling the router is faulty but would appreciate some suggestions before I spend out on a new one.

Thanks.

Steve

You may be well be correct and the router is on the way out. It could also be noise as it's happening at night time suggest changing the adsl filter and connecting direct to the test socket inside the BT Master faceplate, this should effectively eliminate internal interference. If still the same can you borrow a router?

Might be worth changing the wifi channel just in case there is a conflict with a neighbours channel.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

If the router is doing a complete reset it could be the power supply (though I can't see why it only happens at night).

If you've got another one (same voltage and polarity, equal or greater current capability) it might be worth trying that.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

House

Thanks for the suggestions  :thumb:

I tried a new filter directly into the master socket and it still disconnected twice lastnight.  I didn't have a spare power supply to test unfortunately.

Just ordered a new DG834 so hopefully it should be fine... never liked that old Belkin router anyway  ;)

Rik

It's also possible that BT are doing 21CN work on the voice side at your exchange, and this will produce outages in the midnight-7am period.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Oct 20, 2010, 16:51:47
It's also possible that BT are doing 21CN work on the voice side at your exchange, and this will produce outages in the midnight-7am period.

I wondered that myself, but the problems are apparently between 6pm-Midnight.   :-\
Simon.
--

Rik

Note to self, read the post thoroughly. :blush:
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Though, with BT's timekeeping...  ;)
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

BAP

6 Hrs outage today + 16Hrs a few months ago + the odd 2 or 3 hrs here and there.
Not saying this is IDnet's fault, but I am told this is all down to BT, doesn't make for a reliable service though.
Seems that IDnet will have to get to grips with BT, if this keeps happening people might look elsewhere :dunno:

Technical Ben

It might be the cold that is making it die at night? Or exchange congestion? What exchange are you on? I know it's not likely that exchange congestion would cause a disconnect, more likely a slow connection.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

gyruss

sounds familiar this fault.
Jase

House

New router arrived today so will see if I get any disconnects tonight.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

House

Well, I've been using the new router for 2 nights and the disconnects still happen but much less.  Had 1 disconnect on Thursday night and 1 last night.

I guess this means there is a problem with BT or IDNET?

Steve

Not necessarily it could be local noise - suggest try the test socket if you can and run routerstats /lite

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Steve
------------

Rik

Not IDNet. If the router is losing sync it's an issue between it and the exchange. Tell me a bit about your phone set up, what's connected to it, do you have any extensions, is the router connected to the master socket or do you use an extension lead?
Rik
--------------------

House

Quote from: Rik on Oct 23, 2010, 11:13:29
Not IDNet. If the router is losing sync it's an issue between it and the exchange. Tell me a bit about your phone set up, what's connected to it, do you have any extensions, is the router connected to the master socket or do you use an extension lead?

I have a filter directly into the master socket with no extensions at all.  The phone is a BT cordless with the main handset connected to the filter and another cordless handset upstairs.

Rik

How far is the base unit from the router?
Rik
--------------------

House

Rik

Mmm. Try rotating it 90 degrees.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

do you have a gas boiler?  Perhaps it is turning on and off to stabilize temperature (as in thermostat) and the router could be picking up interference from it.
------
Alf :)

House

Just called BT and asked them to test the line, just to see if anything stood out that could be causing problems. They said nothing appearred to be wrong although I don't trust BT anymore  ;)

Quote from: Rik on Oct 23, 2010, 13:27:37
Mmm. Try rotating it 90 degrees.

I'll try it and see if I disconnect tonight.

Quote from: cavillas on Oct 23, 2010, 13:48:05
do you have a gas boiler?  Perhaps it is turning on and off to stabilize temperature (as in thermostat) and the router could be picking up interference from it.

No, it's an electric boiler.

Quote from: Steve on Oct 23, 2010, 11:12:48
Not necessarily it could be local noise - suggest try the test socket if you can and run routerstats /lite

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

I'll take a look at this.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far  :)

cavillas

The same could be true of an electric boiler if it has a thermostat to maintain temperature.
------
Alf :)

Lance

BT would only be looking for a voice fault with their tests. You need to ask IDNet to run tests for the broadband side of things.
Lance
_____