Phones and margins

Started by tehidyman, Oct 24, 2010, 15:15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

tehidyman

Whilst trying to identify recent reasons for wild fluctuations in my noise margin and low sync speeds I have connected my Netgear 834G v3 to the test socket via a filter and my phone also in the filter.  I am monitoring performance with RouterStats.  When I make a phone call the noise margin drops from 14 db to 3db but recovers when I finish the call.  It happens with both digital and analogue phones and on at least two filters.  Sync is 2528 kbps.  I have also found that when connecting the phone the margin drops to zero and returns with a lower sync and margin. Then a reboot gets the margin and sync back to previous level.  Should this happen and if not am I doing something wrong?  ???

Rik

It shouldn't happen, can you try another filter and, if that doesn't help, another phone?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

tehidyman

Thanks for another lightning speed reply.
Tried a third filter and margin did not drop with the DECT or the analogue so assume I must have two faulty filters, however  propose getting a Clarity faceplate as I also think my ADSLNation one has failed.
  I have also found that the ex BT engineer who installed my extension had run the cable nestled up against the mains cable for nearly 2m so need to separate them.  I have disconnected the extension wires at the faceplate which eliminated some noise.
Oh for a quiet line

Rik

Bright piece of work by BT again. :(

It does sound like you have had filters fail, checkout Dean's thread at:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22687.msg544381#msg544381
Rik
--------------------

sobranie

I think you should have the router and dect 'phone as far apart as you can. 

Rik

Always a good move, Rick.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------