2700 PSU mod question

Started by Ted, Oct 27, 2010, 15:36:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I want to shorten the ouput cable on a 2700 psu.

Do any of you still have an original that is duff? If so could you cut the cable and expose the innards, and post a pic so I can see the configuration, before I cut it.

I'm thinking solder and heatshrink or maybe a small plug and socket, not sure.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Technical Ben

Personally, I use cable ties. Not sure if the cable will cause interference, but should be nothing any equipment could pick up. So I coil it around until it's shortened enough, then 2 to 4 cable ties to hold it into place. It's cheap, easy and help de-clutter the wires under my small [self built!  ;D] PC desk.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Ted

Quote from: Technical Ben on Oct 27, 2010, 16:07:10
Personally, I use cable ties. Not sure if the cable will cause interference, but should be nothing any equipment could pick up. So I coil it around until it's shortened enough, then 2 to 4 cable ties to hold it into place. It's cheap, easy and help de-clutter the wires under my small [self built!  ;D] PC desk.

At the moment I'm using it trebled (like a collapsed Z) covered with Spiral wrap, looks ok but a bit chuncky. Ideally it only needs to be 1\3 of its length, hence the "cut and shut" route.
I'm not bothered about cutting it, I have others if it all goes ti belly up, just thought it would be handy to have a "pre peek" at what I was dealing with.
Ted

Ted

Just went for it  ;D

For anyone who may interested, here is a pic of the inside. Pretty easy as I'd hoped, Just solder and heatshrink.

Ted

Rik

I'll send you mine to do, Ted. ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Did you not think to get a replacement plug?
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Ted

Quote from: Polchraine on Oct 27, 2010, 20:24:14

I did for a brief second, then the cutters were in my hand and it was all over bar the soldering  ;D

It's all done and working now, was a bit fiddly, but looks pretty good.
Ted

Technical Ben

Quote from: Polchraine on Oct 27, 2010, 20:24:14
That's why I keep all the old appliances in the shed...  :whistle:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.