Broadband outages - a suggestion

Started by dudwell, Oct 21, 2010, 19:57:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Oct 22, 2010, 08:05:39
Or you could just get a USB dial-up modem?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dial+up+usb+modem&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=4534872416&ref=pd_sl_3on9ucri4d_b

The trouble is at dial up many people would never get their work downloaded or even uploaded, patching is really for ADSL speeds these days as well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Maybe dial-up as a backup then but of course thats pretty lousy if you are managing servers or uploading.

Lance

Just to clarify the situation with regards to the
Forum and it's connection to IDNet.

IDNet kindly provide us with a server and domain name for use. However, the forum itself is 100% independent, with all the staff being volunteers and getting equally frustrated as everyone else when something goes wrong.

The staff are often in contact with IDNet, but this is usually to gain support in trying to resolve a forum member's problem by getting tests run or seek the expert advice. When it comes to to talking about other ISPs we are interested to see what is said both positive and negative. You never know, one day in te future even the staff may move to a different ISP!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gwidnet

Surely a USB broadband dongle is the ideal solution. You can find out from this site http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ which UMTS mast is closest to you so which provider is likely to give you the best signal.

If you want to share the USB dongle, you could get a 3G router like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-3G-6200N-nLite-Broadband-Router/dp/B002GNHOCQ

PAYG will cost you £2-£3 for the day, but worth it as a back up.
best ever speedtest 01 11 2011:

pctech

Problem comes if the local site is heavily loaded in which case you can get worse than dial-up speeds.

I don't think sitefinder has been updated since 2008 due to objections from the operators.

Glenn

Where I live, I'm on the edge of reception for a data signal, even though the site shows 7 masts around me.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Depends which way the sectors are focussed and tilted.

esh

If anyone does need a hand configuring dial-up modems, give a shout :)
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Oct 24, 2010, 08:56:39
Problem comes if the local site is heavily loaded in which case you can get worse than dial-up speeds.

I don't think sitefinder has been updated since 2008 due to objections from the operators.

You mean they might be trying to hide the truth? Never!?  :whistle:  >:D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Apparently the operators are worried that the sites maybe attacked.

Err if you pass them you will see them anyway, I don't see there will be rogue bands of anti mast vigilantes driving round the country as petrol is too expensive anyway.