Turn off 2-wire training?

Started by tehidyman, Oct 28, 2010, 15:02:15

Previous topic - Next topic

tehidyman

My phone line recently became subject to two large increases in noise daily, usually around dusk and dawn.  My 2-wire seems to be stuck in a cycle.  Overnight when the noise margin is high for several hours it appears to automatically retrain itself giving me a higher sync rate and lower margin.  However come the dawn noise the margin drops to zero or below, I lose sync and have to do an unplug reboot to get connected to the internet.  Having rebooted I have then lost all information. Sometimes it survives the dawn noise and I get the same problem at dusk and it may take a few reboots to get online. Rebooting results in a lower sync and a far higher margin and round we go again. All this is happening when in the test socket  (have tried with three different filters) and also via my filtered faceplate.  I would like to persist with my 2-wire but can I turn off the retraining function to let it settle down and not have so many losses of connection.  It is a 2-wire with hardware 2700-100588-005 and firmware 6.1.1.48.1 enh.tm.  A search of this forum and reading "Tripod" drew a blank.

Rik

You can't. :( The router is doing the opposite of what I'd expect, a morning re-boot should give higher sync speed, and the noise margin should reduce at night, often triggering the resync. Are you power cycling, or using the reset options within the router, ie not a reboot.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

tehidyman

As I have lost internet connection the only way I know of rebooting is to unplug, as I appear to be unable to access the 2-wire functions when disconnected.
After about 11.00pm the noise seems to decrease which is when the margin goes up.
What I should have added is that the high noise problem is generally short lived say 5-15 minutes.
If I cannot turn the training off I will have to return to my old Netgear

Rik

Even the Netgear will retrain if there's a burst of noise.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MisterW

Quotehave to do an unplug reboot to get connected to the internet.
That's unusual, the 2700 is one of the best routers I've seen for re-establishing a connection following a drop. I've never had to reboot one. Then again all mine have been/are v5 f/w.