Opinion on DG834 v4 wired Modem Router

Started by davej99, Oct 28, 2010, 16:35:04

Previous topic - Next topic

davej99

Sorry to bore you all to death with my adsl modem machinations, but I would value your opinion of the DG834 v4 wired Modem Router (Broadcom chipset). We are hard wired and use Homeplugs because the house has weird corners. So we do not need wireless, especially N and the cost of say a Draytek. Objective is just to get a good ADSL connection on a longish now noisy interleaved line. Hoping the v4 will oblige with s=1/2 mode and secure a maximum 8128 which it seemed the v5 family did not. The wired DG834 is still shipping in v4. What do you think? (If anyone has a v4 box to trade pm me).
:thnks: in advance, Dave

Rik

Hi Dave

Thee v4 generally seems to have been better received than the v5. I don't know, thought whether it supports s==1/2.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I know I got a full sync with interleave on with the DG834N which has a slightly quicker Broadcom chipset than the dg834, but to be honest I'm not sure in terms of throughput I'm any different even though the resulting IP profile is higher.
Steve
------------

davej99

Thx, Rik Steve. That is encouraging. It might say on your box if it is v4 and therefore suggest that the plain 834 will be similar. To be honest I am not sure if the Broadcom chip set runs the modem and the wireless or just the wireless. I can say on an interleaved profile of 7150 I got up to 6885 on v3, which is better than I got on the v5 interleaved profile of 6500 probably without s=1/2.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

armadillo

Quote from: davej99 on Oct 28, 2010, 16:35:04
but I would value your opinion of the DG834 v4 wired Modem Router (Broadcom chipset). ... Hoping the v4 will oblige with s=1/2 mode

Seeing as my router is DG834v4, if you can tell me how on earth one would find out if it can support s=1/2 mode, I would be happy to look at mine. Provided I can do so without messing with my connection or immersing the router in boiling oil. i.e. if a piece of software can ask it, fine.

I have the box for mine but I am keeping it as I always keep all boxes (my attic has a lot of boxes in it!). It says nothing about version numbers on the box. Just DG834. But on the label on the back of the router it says DG834v4.

Firmware is V5.01.16

I shall probably be buying a second one as a spare too.

Rik

My attic has 24 years worth of boxes in it. Moving is going to be hell!
Rik
--------------------

armadillo

26 years in mine. Should be a great job for whoever clears it out when I am dead. With any luck, by that time, the boxes will more than double.

dieselglider

The DG834Gv4 (currently on f/w v5.01.19) is my router of choice on my broadband connection, even though the dslam is by Texas Instruments.

This, from a choice of V2, V3 versions, BT2700HGV, and a Speedtouch 585v6 (which would be my 2nd choice).

Currently 48dB att'n, 9dB Target SNR, and 4704 kbps stats.  The Target SNR rose to 9dB just recently when the BT2700 re-synced a few times.  I think there may have been a line issue, so I'm using routerstats along with the Netgear to check for a problem.

Rik

Quote from: armadillo on Oct 28, 2010, 17:27:23
26 years in mine. Should be a great job for whoever clears it out when I am dead. With any luck, by that time, the boxes will more than double.

:evil:

We think alike.
Rik
--------------------

davej99

Gentlemen, please, your forum needs you. May the only coil you slip off be in a dodgy filter.

Rik

;D

I'm in no rush, Dave. Just planning.  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

armadillo

Your concern is heart-warming, Dave. Like Rik, I propose keeping all coils for many years yet.

davej99

I am with you on that, Rik & 'dillo, but, "the best laid schemes of mice... " - well you know the rest. And agly is my scheme to get a decent router, as I debate whether BT or Netgear is the most hapless sleekit endeavour known to man or mouse.

Note to management: please can we get "agly" and "sleekit" added to the spell checker!

Rik

No.  :P

It's actually impossible, afaik, to add words to the SMF dictionary, Dave. :(
Rik
--------------------

davej99

Mmm, this might be a breach of the human rights act, denying persons writing in the Scots tongue access to a sperl chocher. ;)

Ray

Ray
--------------------

armadillo

Oh, why did I ever mention death?

So Dave, can I assume that this s=1/2 thing is something the router decides on all by itself when it feels the need? i.e. there is nothing I can interrogate on mine to let you know if it can?

davej99

The Netgear DGN2200 has just come up as an option, its Broadcom chipset and N. At £9 more than the DG834v4 wired, is it any good does anyone know? Thx

(Did not want to start yet another modem router topic)

Lance

I've been using it for a few weeks and not had any problems. That said, the noise margin does fluctuate more than then my old 2wire but fortunately it doesn't impact on my line.
Lance
_____

Ray

Ray
--------------------