Broadband down

Started by GarryF, Oct 29, 2010, 19:34:26

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Agreed but this is BT we are talking about so not likely.

armadillo

Quote from: Bill on Oct 30, 2010, 16:19:01
but from the exchange onwards it should be part of the basic design philosopy.

for which somebody would still have to pay.

I cannot see that happening either through UK end users paying more or via government subsidy funded by taxation.

Bill

Quote from: armadillo on Oct 30, 2010, 17:39:12
for which somebody would still have to pay.

Of course.

I would have thought that the posters on this bbs appreciate the dictum that you get what you pay for, and if the Great British Public only want to pay for a cheap and cheerful service they should stop bitching when it falls over.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

I'd rather pay for broadband what some folks pay for HD Sky

armadillo

Quote from: pctech on Oct 30, 2010, 17:49:45
I'd rather pay for broadband what some folks pay for HD Sky

Me too. I do not even own a TV.

Rik

Isn't this the second Celtic Connection problem this year? Wasn't there one in July, when I was on holiday. The robustness, or should that be frailty, of BT's network appals me. They should be obliged to compensate everyone affected every time they screw up.  :mad:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on Oct 31, 2010, 12:34:03
Isn't this the second Celtic Connection problem this year? Wasn't there one in July, when I was on holiday. The robustness, or should that be frailty, of BT's network appals me. They should be obliged to compensate everyone affected every time they screw up.  :mad:

There was an identical fault Rik as you say and the status pages from BT at that time were just as inaccurate.

Rik

Totally and utterly unacceptable. :shake:
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

As ever it is BT's denial system, even when they have concrete evidence of a major issue, pretend it is not there is the order of the day.

Rik

Given what we've seen them do to IDNet this month, you despair for the future, don't you. :(
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I'm beginning to think that as I've said before the infrastructure needs to be nationalised and/or owned and controlled by a non-profit owned by the service providers as is the case with the Internet Exchange Points such as LINX

Rik

Couldn't agree more, Mitch. The present situation is not only farcical but out of control.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

LINX has worked well since 1994 and apparently it was started by BT and Pipex.

If it was mutually owned then it'd be in the interests of all to make it work and would be accountable.

Would also lead to some even better deals if they abolished the traffic metering at the BRAS.

Rik

Free bandwidth for all. :yes:
Rik
--------------------

pctech

The ISPs would have to meter it because I think their upstream providers like Cogent do but if it was down to the ISPs it would be better I reckon.

Rik

A new co-operative.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Would be a good idea but BT would want more money than a lot of companies could raise I bet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------