Broadband down

Started by GarryF, Oct 29, 2010, 19:34:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I'm afraid redundancy has another meaning when it comes to BT
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Danni

I've got Colin here threatening to go to Talk Talk (he can't get on at home of course- he's on ADSL Max). I hope this gets fixed soon- I can't lose my friend to the dark side!
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

Colin Burns

no back up line so far away from my IDnet line that is almost not attached to the house

Danni

What, in our flat? Our line works fine... :P
IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

Technical Ben

"Incident Details: At the moment some Broadband End Users may be experiencing a loss of Broadband service."
May? May?
Ok, we unplugged the wires, turned off the equipment and deleted the files. I reckon that should be 99% of our customers down. The other 1% must be wizards or something!
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

esh

Well I'm fine here, but I feel your pain after the recent outages.... Hope it's not another 16 hrs.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Colin Burns

esh

Engineers or hours? ;)
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Colin Burns

both

but i finally have interwebs so can forgot the evil thoughts of considering talk talk for a backup line   :eek4:

jimc

Hey it even made the mainstream news, perhaps it will embarrass BT enough to get their fingers out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11656851

zebrum

after an optimistic reboot of my modem my connection is back up

Steve

Steve
------------

JB

Interestingly, my area code is on that list but the service has been solid for the last week.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Glenn

It only affected 20CN connections, so if you are on ADSL2+ or FTTC, then you would have retained service.
Glenn
--------------------

davej99

I like the bit of the BT statement "BT's engineering teams worked throughout the night..... ," as if this is unusual or worthy of comment, as if the poor wee souls were kept out of bed just for us. This company is on Planet Zog. It is still behaving like a 1950s public monopoly. It really is time to do an AT&T on these dreamers and break it up. A dose of life in the real world is needed here.

Steve

It doesn't look like it would take much to disrupt the majority of this country's broadband network. One exchange and half the country is down. :dunno:
Steve
------------

JB

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 30, 2010, 09:12:53
It only affected 20CN connections, so if you are on ADSL2+ or FTTC, then you would have retained service.

I'm on bog standard 8 meg steam internet.

Not a hope of 21CN or FTTC in this rural paradise  :D
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

armadillo

Quote from: davej99 on Oct 30, 2010, 09:50:49
It really is time to (do an AT&T on these dreamers and) break it up. A dose of life in the real world is needed here.

After all, that strategy worked really well with British Rail  ;)

Trouble is, creating infrastructure is horrendously expensive. Companies need to make a profit. They can do that by making customers pay or getting government subsidy. I see little prospect of either in the UK.

davej99

Quote from: armadillo on Oct 30, 2010, 12:48:12
After all, that strategy worked really well with British Rail  ;)
But it did work with AT&T and the Baby Bells.

armadillo

Quote from: davej99 on Oct 30, 2010, 13:08:55
But it did work with AT&T and the Baby Bells.

Yes. sort of. But then that was over 25 years ago. And since then several of those have been merged or acquired and they are back down to three (I believe) and each is probably bigger than BT. I think there is an economy of scale factor at work here. Also, in the US at that time, there was probably a great deal more going on in building other infrastructure, such as road, rail and electric power distribution. The UK electric grid is probably now at greater risk than the broadband infrastructure. It will more likely be a development in core infrastructure of that kind which could carry a telecoms restructure on the back of it. There have been several attempts in the UK to distribute telecom trunking over electric power lines. An idea so good that I invested some of my own money in one .... and it went bust. Doh!

pctech

Quote from: Steve on Oct 30, 2010, 09:55:36
It doesn't look like it would take much to disrupt the majority of this country's broadband network. One exchange and half the country is down. :dunno:

Lets hope that certain parties that would want to do that were looking the other way at the time.

Glenn

I would think, all telephone exchanges are primary targets in the event of a war. Take out the communications first followed by power stations.
Glenn
--------------------

Ted

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 30, 2010, 15:31:26
I would think, all telephone exchanges are primary targets in the event of a war. Take out the communications first followed by power stations.

I don't think Al Qaeda have to bother trying to disrupt communications in the UK. Bt appear to be managing perfectly well on their own.  :eyebrow:
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

pctech

Very true Ted.

I think resilient connections will come but we'll have to be prepared to pay around the price of a top sky subscription now because two circuits will be needed to be installed at your house/business with a router to monitor and manage the failover as happens now with leased lines in a lot of businesses and indeed ISPs.

Bill

I think resiliency at the end user level would be rather OTT (though it should be available if you're prepared to pay for it), but from the exchange onwards it should be part of the basic design philosopy.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6