Setting up a 2700 for ADSL2+

Started by Jup, Nov 04, 2010, 11:55:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Jup

Hi, I have a Netgear DG834G V2 with firmware V3.01.38 installed for my Idnet ADSL2+ connection. Since i switched to ADSL2+ I have lost about 500kbps download speed and was wondering if there was any way that i could speed things up a little as downloading large files is painful. I am considering buying a new router but would like to run it past you guys first to see if its worth my while.

Here are my stats atm...
ADSL Link                  Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed    1149 kbps      821 kbps
Line Attenuation            52 db      17 db
Noise Margin            9 db              6 db

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Rik

Hi Jup

I have a 2-Wire 2700 and achieve a sync of 4229 on a 62db line, albeit with a 6db margin, worth about 500-700k of sync speed. IOW, for target margin it would only be 3500 sync. As that's still 3x what you're achieving, I would say it's well worth trying (<£20 on eBay). The v2 is very long in the tooth now.

For some people, due to the condition of their line, ADSL2+ will actually be slower that ADSL (Max). If that proves to be the case for you after a change of router, ask IDNet to have you remodulated to ADSL - it uses lower frequencies than 2+ and is, therefore, less prone to interference (and should give a lower attenuation).
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Jup

Hey Rik,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try a 2-wire 2700 and see how that goes, can't go wrong for £20 quid. I'll post back with results when I get the router. By the way is it easy enough to install/set up?

Cheers

Rik

Very. Try for v5 firmware if you can, but otherwise the 2700 board has all the instructions you need.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Thanks again Rik,

I have picked one up for £18 delivered, should be a few days before it arrives. The guides on the 2700 board seem straight forward enough....even for me :fingers: I'll post my results for any that are intrested.

Cheers

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hi again,

The 2700 router just arrived. I have a quick question before I start. Do i need to use the 2-wire filter and cables that came with the router or am I ok using my own? I have adsl nation filters. Also there is no software disc which should have, will this be a problem?

Cheers

Glenn

jup,

Your own filters should be fine, don't use the  cd to configure the router, just follow the guide here
Glenn
--------------------

Jup

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the quick reply. Gonna give it a a go just now:)

Cheers

Jup

Hi again:)

I have a small problem when i get to (4. When the page opens, click on Run System Setup Wizard in the box at the bottom right hand corner of
   the page.) I can't seem to find any setup wizard function anywhere. Anyone can tell me where i can find it?

Cheers

Rik

I never used it, tbh. I did the setup manually - that may refer to an app on the CD, and I hate router CDs. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Jup

Thanks for the replies guys,

Still not able to get it connecting properly, problem seems to be that it won't let me change the current password that is set and it will not let me save my connection details. I can however see my line stats which are slightly lower than I have at the moment, wish I could find the setup wizard tbh. Will have another crack after I have been fed and watered ;D

Cheers

Rik

Are you hitting submit, Jup?
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hi Rik,

I don't see a submit button only a save button. The router page layout is different from the the one in the guides, here is a pic. I tried using both the javascript option and the save button.

Cheers

Glenn

Jup, the bold part is what you are missing

After editing the Broadband Link Advanced Settings page including your ADSL/PPP username and password, do NOT press the red 'Save' button displayed on this page otherwise you will encounter the 'PPP username invalid' error message.  To save you newly edited settings, simply type, or copy & paste the following javascript command into your web browser and press the Enter/Return key.   This command bypasses the checking that takes place when you normally press the 'Save' button.

javascript:document.pagepost.submit()

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/031.htm
Glenn
--------------------

Jup

Hi again,

I have tried again to get the router to connect, I followed the instructions in Glenns post but my user name/password will not save. When i entered the javascript command it at first prompted me to enter password and submit, which I did but it still did not save. The next few attempts it did not prompt for router password the page just seemed to refresh after the javascript was entered but my details would not save.

I'm puzzled tbh (not hard mind) any other advice would be appreciated:)

Cheers

Glenn

Best wait for Kinmel or MisterW, they will be able to offer more advice.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

I'll rename the thread and place it in the 2700 board so they are more likely to see it.
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

You have the V6 firmware  go to the  PPP Login page and enter your full Idnet username and password and then the router's own password.

You will get a  Configuration Successful message and that's it, your done.

If it fails, then just repeat it again.

Remember to set up firewall, wireless security etc.  Turn off Fusion and Openzone on the home page.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hi guys,

Thanks both Rik and Kinmel, i'll let you know how I get on:)

Cheers

MisterW

Sorry guys!, I've been busy most of the day trying to get my 3g dongle to work with the new Betavine Connection Manager ( https://forge.betavine.net/projects/bcm/ ) on my Aspire One netbook now its upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04.
Looks like Alan has got it covered...

Rik

Did you have to pause for breath while writing that? ;)
Rik
--------------------

MisterW

It didn't seem that bad when I wrote it, but looking back at it I see what you mean ;D