Setting up a 2700 for ADSL2+

Started by Jup, Nov 04, 2010, 11:55:33

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Jup

Hi again,

Did a resync switching router off last night and powering back up at 7am this morning when i got home from work..
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    768 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation            51 db    15.5 db
Noise Margin            15 db    11 db

I just took my stats again just now...
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    768 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation            51 db    15.5 db
Noise Margin            13 db    11 db

Noise margin coming down again. I am a bit puzzled as my profile used to be much higher than this before I switched to adsl+2. Anything else I can do or try to improve the down stream?

Cheers

Rik

Ask IDNet to remodulate you to ADSL Max. Some lines just don't work well with 2+.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Jup

Hi Rik,

Did that last week mate. Think they would switch it back to adsl+2? For me as it was working better with it, here are my stats before i got remodulated..
ADSL Link                  Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed    1149 kbps      821 kbps
Line Attenuation            52 db      17 db
Noise Margin            9 db              6 db

Rik

They will, but you need to find out why the line has become more noisy. Where's the router connected, master socket, hard-wired socket or 'flying lead' extension socket. What else is connected to the line, especially have you added anything new recently.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Router is plugged into the master socket, no extension used. I moved my phone away from router, in fact i put it upstairs well out of the way. I have had sky unconnected for over a week now. Honestly nothing ahs changed my end except for what i have just listed. In the whole house I have broadband connected downstairs and my phone connected upsatairs thats it.

Cheers

Glenn

Is the ring wire removed from all sockets?
Glenn
--------------------

Jup

Yeah all sockets have the ring wire removed mate.

Rik

That pretty much rules out self help, there's only one other thing I can think to check, apart from a filter swap. Open master and extension sockets and check you do have a twisted pair connection, eg the wires are blue/white & white/blue.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Just checked and can confirm that the wires are blue/white and white/blue.

Cheers

Rik

Then you need to talk to support about your options, Jup. Please be aware that getting a BT engineer out can cost up to £195+VAT.

What make and model is the phone, btw?
Rik
--------------------

Jup

The phone is a BT Graphite 1100 twin. Don't fancy shelling out £200+. Can't figure out how the connection and noise margin has dived since the remodulation from adsl+2 back to normal adsl.

Rik

The Graphites have a very bad reputation for interfering with ADSL. Could you try an alternative?
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Yeah i could try another, would the Graphite cause noise even though I have it plugged in upstairs well away from the main socket?

Rik

It certainly can. There's quite a lot of discussion of it on Thinkbroadband.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Ok Rik i'll try again with a landline phone connected. Will i have to force another resync to see the results?

Thanks again

Rik

Yes, but give it a couple of weeks.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Don't mean to sound stupid  :blush: But do you mean wait a couple of weeks before resync or resync then give it a couple of weeks for the line training to do its thing?

Cheers

pctech

Think he means give it a couple of weeks before rebooting so the BT kit 'sees' a stable line.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Jup