Setting up a 2700 for ADSL2+

Started by Jup, Nov 04, 2010, 11:55:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I think I'd leave it as is, you can keep an eye on the margin yourself,the reset should force a resync.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

If the router hasn't resynced then yes.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

I have waited 5 hours and still no change, so I rebooted the router but still joy, infact the noise margin crept up 1dB. Have i jumped the gun here or has the noise margin reset just not kicked in yet?

Cheers

Rik

What exactly did support say?
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hi Rik,

They said that they had now reset the noise margin but it would take 4 hours for it to start working, they also told me that i'd have to leave my router switched on but I took that to mean that it would have to be left on overnight. Nothing was said about a reboot, hope i have not screwed up here :(. He also commented that my router had been stable and said that they could only reset it once every 10 days. Pretty sure thats all that was said.

Rik

I've just spoken to support, they've seen multiple resyncs. If that wasn't you doing it manually, then your line is unstable and has re-targetted back to 15db.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

I rebooted only 1 time. Is it worth me trying my Netgear router again, the noise margin was never that high with it?

Cheers

Rik

It's worth a try, but give it an hour, or wait till the morning, so that the exchange doesn't see it as more signs of instability.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Ok i'll leave it until late tonight or tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it goes :)

Cheers

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hi again,

I checked my connection this morning and my profile has dropped to 500kbs again so I swapped back to my netgear router. Noise margin dropped 4dB and my download rate went up. I take it I will have to wait for the line to sort it's self out again and see if the profile rises again. I think that the 2700 does not really like my remodulated line. Will post back when I see some changes.

Cheers

Rik

Sadly, you will. Netgears seem to be more compatible with MSANs than any other brand, though my 2700 gets on fine with the MSAN.
Rik
--------------------

shpub

This looks very similar to my experience with the 2700.

See http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22013.0;all

It does seem that the 2700 performance is very much line dependent. In the end I tried a Billion 7300 which works very well

I had to go through several resets as Speedtester was getting really confused though.

However, I have been connected now for 28 days at 1188...

Rik

Like all routers, we've seen good and bad reports on the 2700. For some, me included, they're little short of miraculous, for others they do nothing, for some they have a negative impact. It demonstrates, rather worryingly, how variable the equipment we connect to at the exchange is. :(
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 10:37:05
It demonstrates, rather worryingly, how variable the equipment we connect to at the exchange is. :(

Too true Rik, too true...   :shake:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hey guys,

Quick update, its been a couple of days since i connected my netgear. Seems like the noise margin is getting better but still no movment on my download rate.
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    864 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    50 db    15.5 db
Noise Margin    10 db    19 db

Should I be seeing a better download rate by now or will it take longer for the line to sort it's self?

Cheers

Rik

You won't see an increase in speed until the line resyncs. When it does, you need to take a look at those stats immediately and see what the d/s noise margin is, Jup.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Hi Rik,

Thanks for speedy reply, do I need to restart router to get a resync or will it resync its self if the line stays stable?

Cheers again:)

Rik

You'll need to do it. Given the BT work overnight tonight, I'd suggest you think about powering down before midnight, then power up again after 6 tomorrow morning.
Rik
--------------------

Jup

Thanks again Rik, I'll try that tonight.

Cheers

pctech

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 10:37:05
Like all routers, we've seen good and bad reports on the 2700. For some, me included, they're little short of miraculous, for others they do nothing, for some they have a negative impact. It demonstrates, rather worryingly, how variable the equipment we connect to at the exchange is. :(

And/or the poor state of the local loop.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

I do wonder how ADSL got ratified as a standard.

Rik

By a committee, Mitch. They were actually meeting to discuss the fiscal crisis but got distracted. ;)
Rik
--------------------