Our internet's gone...

Started by alhenderson, Nov 11, 2010, 13:15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

alhenderson

At home, no internet connection  :( At least no wireless, got the missus checking if the desktop works which doesn't use wireless.  Assuming its not, does anyone have any troubleshooting tips?  The phone line itself is fine, in that we can make and receive phone calls.  Nothing on the IDNet network status page so I assume its a local problem of some sort..

Cheers,
Al.

Rik

Is the line in sync is the first question, Al. If it is, and a wired connection works, you have a wireless problem. If it is and the wired connection doesn't work, you may have a stale session, or local engineering works. If you're not in sync, try re-booting the router.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

alhenderson

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2010, 13:17:20
Is the line in sync is the first question, Al. If it is, and a wired connection works, you have a wireless problem. If it is and the wired connection doesn't work, you may have a stale session, or local engineering works. If you're not in sync, try re-booting the router.

Thanks Rik, have rebooted the router several times now to no avail..

Al.

esh

Open up a command line in windows and give us the output of "ipconfig/all" on the wired system, that could help a lot. Also try and log into the router interface and see what that has to say.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

alhenderson

Quote from: esh on Nov 11, 2010, 13:47:17
Open up a command line in windows and give us the output of "ipconfig/all" on the wired system, that could help a lot. Also try and log into the router interface and see what that has to say.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I'm at work, so it'll have to wait until I get home :)  Guess the wife will have to live without ebay and facebook for a few hours  ;)

Al.

Simon

That might save you a few quid, Al.  ;)
Simon.
--

alhenderson

Quote from: Simon on Nov 11, 2010, 14:09:00
That might save you a few quid, Al.  ;)

You're not wrong! Number of times I've had an email from ebay telling me I've bought something I would have absolutely no use for  ;D Apparently, there's no internet on the wired desktop either, so maybe a problem with our router.  Thankfully I have mobile internet so will still have access for troubleshooting when I get home..

Al.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

alhenderson

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2010, 16:27:02
But not eBay. ;D

Its a well known fact that ebay doesn't work over mobile internet..  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

GarryF

Mines been down for the last hour, I'm becoming a regular on here :)

restart router gives same error as previous
http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22858.0

Rik

Anywhere near Falkirk?

QuoteWe have identified a possible issue on the FALKIRK BRAS which may be causing intermittent connection issues to some 21CN customers in the Scotland area. BT\'s network incidents team have been alerted and are investigating. Further updates to follow.
Rik
--------------------

GarryF

I'm on Moray so a long way from Falkirk, but last time it was something in edinburgh so who knows:)

alhenderson

Got home, still no internet, ipconfig on the desktop looked fine (it had address 192.168.0.2 from the router).  The router admin pages all looked OK (to my untrained eye!).  I did a reboot of the router from the config pages and hey presto - internet!!  Surely that can't be any different from cycling the power?  Granted, I suppose it'd be a nicer shutdown than me pulling the plug out, but the result ought to be the same, surely?  Or maybe I got lucky..

Al.

Rik

It should, Al. You need to start looking at your internal wiring. What's connected to the line, do you have hardwired or 'loose' extensions in use, do you have an NTE5 master socket, the type where the faceplate is partially detachable?
Rik
--------------------

esh

Could just be a fluke and BT brought it back up between the last attempt and your current one, and you just had a stale session.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

alhenderson

Quote from: Rik on Nov 11, 2010, 18:54:32
It should, Al. You need to start looking at your internal wiring. What's connected to the line, do you have hardwired or 'loose' extensions in use, do you have an NTE5 master socket, the type where the faceplate is partially detachable?

The router's plugged into an extension upstairs, with the main BT point being in the hall downstairs.  Not sure about the master socket, would have to have a look.  For the time being I'll put it down to a fluke, but if it re-occurs I'll have to start looking into that kind of thing.

Thanks for your help,
Al.

Rik

We'll be here if you need us, Al.
Rik
--------------------

Holodene

Move the router to the master socket asap. :P

alhenderson

Quote from: Holodene on Nov 11, 2010, 21:02:14
Move the router to the master socket asap. :P

Can't, the desktop isn't wireless (and I would rather it wasn't), and I don't think the missus would be too impressed with a PC in the hallway :)  Not sure she'd even be that happy with even the router in the hallway..

Al.

Rik

If the problem persists, it will become necessary to do this, albeit temporarily. A long ethernet lead is the easiest way.
Rik
--------------------

alhenderson

Quote from: Rik on Nov 12, 2010, 06:54:59
If the problem persists, it will become necessary to do this, albeit temporarily. A long ethernet lead is the easiest way.

Thanks Rik, something I'll bear in mind certainly whilst troubleshooting and determining where the problem lies.  Maybe access to facebook and ebay will be enough inducement to put up with the router in the hall  ;D

Al.

Rik

Rik
--------------------