Interleaving on ADSL2+

Started by JamesAllen, Nov 04, 2010, 15:19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Nov 04, 2010, 17:07:55
It is, James. If it proves to be a routing issue, IDNet may be able to route around for you.

Excellent. If they are able to go to that level to sort out these kind of issues (if it turns out to be that) - very cool!

Thanks again for your help today Rik and Steve.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

JamesAllen

Just to let you know, I've found out now that the hosting provider has been doing emergency maintenance over the past 72 hours due to server problems and is looking to migrate people to a new platform.

So it was them all along!

Typical that it coincided with my lovely new IDNET connection.. sigh.

Such is life..

Glenn

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Me too, I was out of ideas. Thanks for letting us know, James. :)
Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Just another quick question on interleaving.

When I first had my line activated last Thursday I was seeing pings of 19ms to www.idnet.co.uk, but now it seems it won't go lower than 30ms (I've tested at various times in the day).

Could this infer that BT have re-enabled interleaving on my line?

Rik

It could, check the router, it will tell you, DSL Diagnostics.
Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Nov 12, 2010, 07:01:29
It could, check the router, it will tell you, DSL Diagnostics.

Thanks Rik. I telnetted into my router and it's saying Channel: Fast when outputting the stats. This shows interleaving is off right?

Looks like my ping has gone up from 19ms to 30ms since the line was activated for some reason then.

Rik

Fast is off, James, so I'd suspect exchange congestion is hitting you. The big question is do you notice it in your normal use of the web?
Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Nov 12, 2010, 11:19:06
Fast is off, James, so I'd suspect exchange congestion is hitting you. The big question is do you notice it in your normal use of the web?

The thing is that I had 18/19ms ping to start with but it's now always around 30ms. Could be down to congestion, but all the time?

It's not a problem though. Web browsing won't be affected by such a small latency change. I was more interested to know why it's gone up from when the line was first activated. I originally had interleaving turned off with Plusnet to help with online gaming.

Rik

It's difficult to say why ping times change, James, beyond the most obvious cause of interleaving being turned on. My pings are at their normal 14ms level to IDNet, so I know that there's not a fault at their end. That leaves exchange congestion as the most likely cause, possibly a routing issue, but that would tend to affect individual servers differently. You could ask support whether they are aware of any issues at your exchange, but BT are involved in massive engineering works across the country right now and it could simply be down to that.
Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Nov 12, 2010, 11:54:34
It's difficult to say why ping times change, James, beyond the most obvious cause of interleaving being turned on. My pings are at their normal 14ms level to IDNet, so I know that there's not a fault at their end. That leaves exchange congestion as the most likely cause, possibly a routing issue, but that would tend to affect individual servers differently. You could ask support whether they are aware of any issues at your exchange, but BT are involved in massive engineering works across the country right now and it could simply be down to that.

That would explain it. I am thinking it's most likely down to my exchange. That could also be the cause of the loss of routing issues as well but hopefully that will become clearer soon.

Rik

Support may be able to help, but they'd need a series of tracerts from you.
Rik
--------------------