Networking/ISP term glossary

Started by pctech, Nov 04, 2010, 20:07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

ADSL - Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line
High-speed always on connection technology designed to allow a phone line to support voice and data by using high frequencies to transmit and receieve data, the customer has a modem or modem/router connected to their line which communicates with a DSLAM or MSAN at the exchange which sends the data traffic over a dedicated data network using either ATM or Ethernet.
ADSL is biased in the downstream direction so that downloads are quicker than uploads.
ADSL has a theoretical maximum of 8 Megabits per second and upload of 1 Megabits per second.
ADSL G.DMT boosts this to a maxumum of 12 megabits down and 1.3 Megabits up
ADSL 2+ boosts this to 24 Megabits down with 1.3 Megabits up
ADSL 2+ Annex M has the same download speed but boosts upload to 3.3 Megabits
There are other varients but these are not deployed in the UK

john

Thanks for posting that Pctech, although I've been inolved with computing since the early 1980's I've got a minimal experience with Networking and still think that it's far more complicated than it needs to be due to an overuse of anachronyms that are not for readily understandable words.

pctech

Please don't post comments to this section as its a work in progress.

pctech

Mods any chance of being made a mod on this board while I work on it?

Simon

While we're thinking about that, can I suggest compiling it in Word, and posting it when ready, Mitch?  You'd have easier editing facilities that way, and no interruptions.  ;)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.