ADSL2+ Reliability Problems

Started by JamesAllen, Nov 07, 2010, 11:46:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Have you checked the idle timeout setting, James? If that's correct, then I'd consider going back to Netgear firmware (or did you and I missed that?).
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Dec 14, 2010, 12:45:11
Have you checked the idle timeout setting, James? If that's correct, then I'd consider going back to Netgear firmware (or did you and I missed that?).

Hi Rik,

It's set to 0 so should always stay connected. Although when it fails it thinks it is connected so the router is not actually doing anything deliberately if that makes sense. It just drops the connection but fails to realise.

I started with the latest Netgear Firmware but with that it was failing every 2 days or so. With the DGTeam custom Firmware it lasts for 5-6 days. That again is strange.. Although I suppose if there is a hardware problem, the custom firmware just might be better at keeping it stable for longer.. Perhaps.

Rik

I think you have to try an alternative router, otherwise you'll just be tearing your hair out for weeks.
Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Quote from: Rik on Dec 14, 2010, 12:58:17
I think you have to try an alternative router, otherwise you'll just be tearing your hair out for weeks.

Very true. I have just found another v4 owner on a forum who had the exact same issues as me so going to see if I can ask him if he ever sorted it.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

JamesAllen

Hi guys,

I haven't been able to try a new router to further check this problem, but I did change my filter just for good measure.

All was fine for almost 173 hours... but then, as always the damn thing failed a few minutes ago.

I'm still confused by this though. This time, it appears that the link went down but my router did re-connect, however the connection status was still showing 173 hours and counting. Even though it had apparently re-connected.

I got this from the dmesg log:

ADSL link down
ADSL G.994 training
ADSL G.992 started
ADSL G.992 channel analysis
ADSL G.992 message exchange
ADSL link down
ADSL G.994 training
ADSL G.992 started
ADSL G.992 channel analysis
ADSL G.992 message exchange
ADSL link up, interleaved, us=1159, ds=12880

So the link went down, it then got to message exchange but it then dropped again so it reconnected and got sync (us=1159, ds=12880).

However, there was no internet connectivity. The thing is, during this the internet light on my router was green and flashing as normal.

Once again, applying the basic settings caused the router to re-connect and it began working immediately.

I know this may very well be hardware (annoying as it's a new router) but does any of this ring any bells with anyone?

Sorry to keep going on about this and I will be trying a new router soon. It seems bizarre that it's fine for 5-7 days then just loses connection but thinks it's still connected fine...

Rik

Lower temperatures keeping the router a bit cooler, James? I think you really need to try a substitute.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

had a DG834GT years ago that overheated anyway and dropped connection loads, burnt out in a puff of black smoke in the end. Have you tried using the vertical stand with it? The stand would make it run cooler as a test, but tbh a DG834G v4 should not get that hot anyway. Not many V4's left out there now I would think.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

JamesAllen

Quote from: Gary on Dec 24, 2010, 13:30:43
had a DG834GT years ago that overheated anyway and dropped connection loads, burnt out in a puff of black smoke in the end. Have you tried using the vertical stand with it? The stand would make it run cooler as a test, but tbh a DG834G v4 should not get that hot anyway. Not many V4's left out there now I would think.

Hey there Gary,

I've had it on the vertical stand since I got it. Good call on heat from both you and Rik, but I'm not so sure it is that. With the normal Firmware it would be up for 2 days then lose routing. I updated to DGTeam firmware and now it'll be up for 5-6 days but then lose routing again. Thing is, I don't then reboot it.. I simply apply the basic settings again and it reconnects and works for another 5-6 days.

It works beautifully while the connection is up. Just strange that it seems to disconnect from the ISP but the ISP light stays green and flashing normally, along with the control panel showing that the router is 'connected'...

Bizarre.. Though yeah, probably a hardware fault.. Annoying as I bought it new.