Which linux distro for new user?

Started by davej99, Nov 09, 2010, 20:55:47

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

Linux Mint - always works first time for me, unlike even Win 7 which is resolutely refusing to run a program that I installed for the first time today. No error, no momentary process and then quit. Just nothing.

Emailed the author - wonder if I'll even get a response. If it was a Linux program half the community would be working on a fix by now.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

davej99

Went with Mint in the end. Out of the tin it is amazingly user friendly. Frankly as a Windows user since version 1, 1989 I think, I was not expecting too much for free. and I am way down on the learning curve. But don't you just love a command line again; the best since Desmond (DOS 6.22, sorry). Less really is more. The best speeches, the best theories, the best codes, are always minimalist. Churchill once apologised at the end of a letter to his father for its length, and wrote that had he given it more thought, it would have been far shorter. Billy Goats eat your heart out.

mrapoc

I too am about to try linuxmint

I usually put ubuntu on my sister's laptop.

It was always quite impressive for something free, but felt a bit sluggish yes, i totally agree that the setting up of codecs always used to pisch me off  :)

vitriol

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on a 2Ghz Core2Duo with 2GB Ram and a X1250 Radeon mobility chip and it blitzes Vista easily, much ,much faster.  And thats with a fully loaded compiz cube desktop with lots of eye candy running.

As far as codecs go.........one of the first things that I install is Ubuntu restricted extras.  That normally sorts out most codec problems.  Then again when I do come across a video file that wont play ball, Ubuntu just goes off and finds what it needs, installs it and then plays the file.

My printer was picked up automatically, I plugged it in and a little notification popped on screen to tell me that my Epson R300 was ready to use....classy.

I've been using Linux exclusively for around 9 months now.............and do not miss Windows at all.

mrapoc

Trying linuxmint now

Basically ubuntu without the codecs and other setup issues

recommdedededededed