Which linux distro for new user?

Started by davej99, Nov 09, 2010, 20:55:47

Previous topic - Next topic

davej99

Sorry all you linux gurus, I guess I am the n millionth person to ask which distro is best for me. Have spare home laptop dedicated to learning linux.  Why now: have home NAS with attached USB BU XFS drive, so need to be able to read BU when NAS crashes. Currently trying ubuntu and opensuse from bootable CD and both seem to work.  Ultimate objective: to be independent of windows. Cheers, Dave.

kinmel

Try Ubuntu, it has great online support and most boxes will run without additional drivers.  After that there are many choices depending upon your needs.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

davej99

Thx for lightening response kinmel. How about opensuse - read it was most like windows (if that is a recommendation)?

Steve

I 've been trying to learn a bit of Linux recently mainly via Debian Squeeze and Fedora neither have had a GUI, I'd go with Alan suggestion of Ubuntu , you may want to have a look at different desktop environments i.e Gnome vs Kde.

BTW all the Live CDs will install as a virtual machine on your Windows box via virtualbox
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

I've tried loads of distros, Ubuntu included, but this is my favourite so far - http://linuxmint.com/

davej99

Quote from: .Griff. on Nov 09, 2010, 22:09:09
I've tried loads of distros, Ubuntu included, but this is my favourite so far - http://linuxmint.com/
Thx Griff. Will give that a good look.

D-Dan

I'd also go with Mint for a new user, and I'll even tell you why :)

Linux Mint is Ubuntu without the initial problems. If you install Ubuntu you still have to contend with installing codecs and plugins to play media (especially online media). Mint comes with it all pre-installed, so it's quite possible that once you install it you'll never need to touch the package manager (if it has all the applications that you need, out of the box so to speak, that is). Otherwise, apart from a couple of aesthetic changes (the menu is the most obvious) it is essentially Ubuntu in green.

If you like your eye candy, once installed take a look at installing compiz settings manager and emerald to have an altogether prettier and infinitely more customisable desktop than Windows ever even tried to give you :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

MisterW

I'd go with the Mint suggestions as long as you like Green!. If you can't cope with the green and need to look at plain Ubuntu then there is a script here http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/what-to-do-after-fresh-ubuntu-install.html which simplifies installing the most useful addons ( like codecs! ).

trophymick

I've been using Mint for a few months, and I can't see me going back to Windows. Mint is supported (daily or every few days) with updates up until 2013. :thumb:

I had previously been a 98ME and XP user for 10 plus years, the move to Mint was exceptionally pain free. :eek4:

There is a bit more input needed if you are a windows user new to linux, things like printer drivers spring to mind. All the information and help is on-line at the click of the mouse and they seem to be a friendly bunch of people!

Edit: you won't need a firewall and anti-virus neither.
Mick

Rik

Another convert, Mick. Strange to think that there were virtually no users here four years ago, the forum was about 99% Windows.
Rik
--------------------

DarkStar

Another vote for Ubuntu as I have found the new 10.10 release much more *complete* than 10.04. However, I have a great liking for Mint and am just waiting for the final Mint 10 release having played with the Mint 10 RC. As Steve said, flash, codecs etc are already there. The only problem I had with Linux was with compatible printers

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22781.0

I went with nowsters recommendation - http://turboprint.info/ - not freeware but just what I needed  :thumb:
Ian

Steve

Probably why we're seeing less Windows issues on the forum these days >:D
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

davej99

Thx everyone. Much appreciate your help and advice. Right now my trial machine, an old Dell 5150 with XP is refusing to re-partition and deny me dual boot. Well to hell with it - I'll just have to erase windows - bye bye Billy Gates moronic invention!!
:karma: all round folks. Cheers.

Rik

Good luck, Dave, let us know how you get on. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

davej99

Well, Billy Goats is no more; he has ceased to be; an ex operating system; consigned to reformat oblivion; erased; defaced; written over; passed over; superceeded;  gnackered; minted!

Rik

You've been spending far too much time watching Monty Python. ;D Congratulations.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

davej99

And now for something completely different! :out:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

davej99

The big green screen has taken over my life. Not the blue screen of death but the minty green screen. This is the most fun in green I have has since Celtic put 9 past Aberdeen this week. 
:soccer:

Steve

Steve
------------

davej99

It's the ring of confidence that comes with getting a new OS running first shot!

D-Dan

Linux Mint - always works first time for me, unlike even Win 7 which is resolutely refusing to run a program that I installed for the first time today. No error, no momentary process and then quit. Just nothing.

Emailed the author - wonder if I'll even get a response. If it was a Linux program half the community would be working on a fix by now.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

davej99

Went with Mint in the end. Out of the tin it is amazingly user friendly. Frankly as a Windows user since version 1, 1989 I think, I was not expecting too much for free. and I am way down on the learning curve. But don't you just love a command line again; the best since Desmond (DOS 6.22, sorry). Less really is more. The best speeches, the best theories, the best codes, are always minimalist. Churchill once apologised at the end of a letter to his father for its length, and wrote that had he given it more thought, it would have been far shorter. Billy Goats eat your heart out.

mrapoc

I too am about to try linuxmint

I usually put ubuntu on my sister's laptop.

It was always quite impressive for something free, but felt a bit sluggish yes, i totally agree that the setting up of codecs always used to pisch me off  :)

vitriol

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on a 2Ghz Core2Duo with 2GB Ram and a X1250 Radeon mobility chip and it blitzes Vista easily, much ,much faster.  And thats with a fully loaded compiz cube desktop with lots of eye candy running.

As far as codecs go.........one of the first things that I install is Ubuntu restricted extras.  That normally sorts out most codec problems.  Then again when I do come across a video file that wont play ball, Ubuntu just goes off and finds what it needs, installs it and then plays the file.

My printer was picked up automatically, I plugged it in and a little notification popped on screen to tell me that my Epson R300 was ready to use....classy.

I've been using Linux exclusively for around 9 months now.............and do not miss Windows at all.

mrapoc

Trying linuxmint now

Basically ubuntu without the codecs and other setup issues

recommdedededededed