FTP timing out

Started by Noelle, Nov 12, 2010, 23:51:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Hello,

I back-up my files every day on the FTP of a customer. The size of my back-up is 28Mo. Everything worked fine until Monday-Tuesday.

Now, I can only upload 1Mo. If I try to upload more, I get a message "FTP timed-out" and it stops. I contacted my customer who said that its FTP is fine. I checked my upload speed and it's the same than usual. I checked my firewall and it is not blocking port 20 or 21.

I tried from another PC linked to the same router and I got the same problem. I guess it's the firewall of my router that is bloking my outgoing FTP connection. The problem started about a week ago.

Could someone help me?

Thanks a lot  :)

Tacitus

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly, but in the meantime could you let us know;

the make of router,
are you running a separate firewall on the machine you are using?

More information is good  ;D

You say this started about a week ago.  Was there anything you did around that time, however unrelated, that may have some bearing on the problem?

Oh and welcome to iDNetters    :karma:

Rik

Can you run a tracert to the server and post the results back here please.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ted

I've had something similar to this, where I could upload a few files and time out, establish a new connection, upload a few files and then time out again.
In the end it was down to not using Passive-FTP mode.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Noelle

Thanks a lot for all your answers.

Rik, could you explain me how to run tracert. Thanks!

Rik

Windows? Hit start > Run > type CMD and hit enter. You'll get a dos-like window open. In that, type tracert following by the URL or IP address of the server. Hit enter. You'll get something like this:

tracert www.idnet.net

Tracing route to www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
  2    13 ms    13 ms    11 ms  telehouse-gw4-lo2.idnet.net [212.69.63.99]
  3    15 ms    13 ms    13 ms  telehouse-gw3-g0-1-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.243]
  4    14 ms    15 ms    11 ms  telehouse-gw5-e4-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.245]
  5    13 ms    13 ms    15 ms  redbus-gw2-g0-1-331.idnet.net [212.69.63.5]
  6    13 ms    17 ms    16 ms  redbus-gw1-fa2-0-300.idnet.net [212.69.63.225]
  7    17 ms    13 ms    13 ms  www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]

Trace complete.

Right click the title bar, choose edit > select all. The text will be highlighted. Hit enter to copy, then paste here.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Windows 7 actually, new PC, I don't even know how to access to the Run window...

pctech

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run

Glenn

Or just type CMD into the search bar.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Sorry, I don't use 7, so can't help. The cavalry will be along shortly. (Is there no Run option from the start button?)

Try clicking 'all programs' near the bottom left of the start menu, that might reveal the option.

Or what Mitch said. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

C:\Users\Nathalie Suteau>tracert www.idnet.net

Tracing route to www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1  General failure.

Trace complete.

Thanks a lot to all of you. I get a general failure, which is strange as I can navigate normally and I was able to upload 8Meg last night at 2am.

pctech

You're not using a VPN are you?

Noelle

PCtech, you had the right path  :)

Noelle

No, I'm not using a VPN. I'm doing the same upload that I did last week, it used to work, it doesn't work anymore. It even worked last night at 2am. I don't get it.

Rik

Try a ping, same procedure but ping instead of tracert, Noelle.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

OK, here is the result of the ping  :P

Pinging www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10] with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 212.69.36.10:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

It doesn't look good...

Rik

There's something wrong with your setup, Noelle. Are you reaching the web OK, can you pickup email?

If you can't ping or tracert, then something, possibly firewall, is blocking access.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

If you are using a VPN to connect to a network you may not be able to trace route, for example I can't run one from the LAN at work.

Noelle

I can access to everything normally, web, email, even this forum.
I'm going to deactivate my firewall and ping again. I'm back in 2 sec

Noelle

C:\Users\Nathalie Suteau>ping www.idnet.net

Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=59

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms

OK, it's my firewall... I use Trend Micro System. What am I supposed to do? Turn off Trend Micro Sytem firewall and use Windows Firewall instead?

Rik

Quote from: pctech on Nov 13, 2010, 16:31:38
If you are using a VPN to connect to a network you may not be able to trace route, for example I can't run one from the LAN at work.

She's not, though, Mitch, which is why I'm wondering about a firewall issue.

I've got to drop of line for a while, Noelle, some friends have just arrived, but I'll be back shortly.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 13, 2010, 16:35:20
OK, it's my firewall... I use Trend Micro System. What am I supposed to do? Turn off Trend Micro Sytem firewall and use Windows Firewall instead?

I like a conclusive test. ;) Yes, turn off Trend, run the Windows firewall and test again.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Ah yes, I forgot you can see the IP.

Rik

I just looked at her reply, Mitch. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Guys,

I turned Trend Micro firewall and tried to use FTP: it doesn't work. My FTP issue doesn't seem to be related to my firewall. I already had a time out issue with iTunes and it was blocked in my firewall. FTP is not blocked at all in my firewall.

Anyway, I'm turning TM firewall off and Windows firewall on and I come back to you. Btw I'm french so sorry for my poor English  :-*

Glenn

Noelle, no need to apologise, you English is fine.
Glenn
--------------------

Noelle

C:\Users\Nathalie Suteau>ping www.idnet.net

Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=59

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

OK, the problem is that upload on FTP still doesn't work.

Noelle

I just did a BT speed tester and BT couldn't test my upstream - it could yesterday. There is a problem with my upstream, it's obvious and with my firewall.

What do you think I should do - knowing that turning off my firewall allows ping to travel but doesn't solve my FTP issue.

I'm back in 15-20 minutes.

Noelle

Glenn

Is the PC virus and malware free?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Your English is a lot better than my French, Noelle. :) Try turning both firewalls off (your router will continue to protect from inbound issues. See if that makes a difference. If not, then what FTP client are you using and what browser?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

I just tried with both firewalls down: it failed, it timed-out again.

I use Internet Explorer and WinSCP. It failed with both.

I have another PC at home. My husband only connects it once or twice a day. It was disconnected all day long and when I made all the tests. Nevertheless, I tried to upload from his PC last night and FTP timed out too and he has Norton.

I'm not sure the issue comes from my PC, I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't come from the router or from Idnet as BT speed tester is unable to check my upstream speed - other speed testers show a normal upstream speed. This is very confusing.

Let me know what you think Rik. Thanks a lot for your help  :)

pctech

Is the server on IDNet's network or a different one?

Noelle

Tech, I'm not sure I understand your question. I have no server, just a PC and a router.

Here are the results of the BT speed tester WITH the Trend Micro firewall ON. I will try later with the firewall OFF.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
1535 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1535 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 21.67:19.99:58.33 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.

Noelle

My PC is malware free. I checked that too several times.

pctech

The server you are trying to FTP into, is it on IDNet or another network?

Noelle

OK I get it. On another network... in China! I tried with an FTP in Canada: same time-out.

pctech

I think you need to talk to support on Monday.

Steve

Just wondering whether your IP address has been blacklisted by the FTP server?
Steve
------------

esh

Do you know if you're using passive mode? This is a terrible throwback showing how old and horrible FTP is but it's required pretty much universally these days.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Noelle

My address had been blacklisted by the FTP server. Moreover, I time out with all FTP servers.

I don't know if I use the passive or active mode. How could I check that?

Thanks!

Noelle

The BT speed test is OK for upstream when I turn my firewall off. The problem is obviously my firewall. Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to check this issue with Trend Micro System.

pctech

Your customer/their server administrator should be able to tell you but passive should work in most cases.

Noelle

My customer is Chinese and I get no help from them at all. I'm going to report the problem to another customer. Btw, I meant "no blacklisted". This issue is confusing and ruining my week-end but I really appreciate your help, from all of you. My husband is in Belgium tomorrow, as soon as it's dark - 4pm - I'm going to run some more tests. Cheers.

Ted

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 13, 2010, 23:11:35
I don't know if I use the passive or active mode. How could I check that?

The option to use passive FTP is in the connection setup section of your FTP client. Here's what it looks like in Fire-FTP

Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 13, 2010, 21:07:20
Let me know what you think Rik. Thanks a lot for your help  :)

Have you set up your webspace on IDNet's servers, Noelle? If not, I suggest you log in to the customer portal, then go to Broadband, free extras and do so. Once that's done, try FTPing to that server. If it doesn't work, it would suggest a general problem with your FTP/firewall setup. If it does, it would point the fingers at the remote server.
Rik
--------------------

armadillo

I was going to suggest uploading to your IDnet webspace but Rik already has!

I suggest you try a nice simple FTP client. I use WS_FTP LE 5.08. You can download it free here

http://www.oldversion.com/WS_FTP-Limited-Edition.html

On the advanced session properties tab, ensure you have passive mode.

Noelle

Hello everybody,

The ping test to www.idnet.net still fails but upload works. I just uploaded 8m on my Chinese FTP. I used IE8 in passive mode. And I uploaded pics on my FB page.

The BT speed tester was able to check my upstream and it works fine.

As you can see, the problem is very confusing as it is coming and going. I'm going to create a web space, download one of the FTP client you mentionned and come back to you.

Rik

Thanks, Noelle. I must admit I'm puzzled by the ping timeout.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Rik, you're going to be puzzled a little more: I have several FTP servers - one for each of my customers.

I just tried to upload 26meg on an FTP server in Canada. It worked in less than 15 minutes. 10 minutes before the upload on the Chinese FTP timed out for only 8meg. The ping test fails on the FTP server in Canada - it failed while I was successfully uploading  :bawl:

I'm using the passive mode with either IE8 or WS_FTP95 that someone suggested. The result is the same with both: it works with Canada not with China.

I think we can now be sure that my firewall is blocking the ping test but the FTP issue seems to be specific to the Chinese FTP. And yesterday the FTP timed out with the firewall OFF.

I don't know what to do to be honest.

Rik

Talk to your Chinese client would seem to be the only answer, Noelle. If Canada works, it's not your machine, firewall or IDNet. I can only think that you may be falling foul of the Chinese authorities for some reason.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

OK, I'm going to contact my Chinese customer tomorrow.

Should I contact Idnet about the ping issue?

Rik

Sorry, can you remind me if all pings are failing?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Yes all and they work when firewall is off.

Rik

So the firewall is an issue, then. What's the router and is it the router or software firewall you are turning off. Is your router pingable?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

I'm turning off the computer firewall. I don't know how to access to the router firewall. My router is a NetGear DH834 v3 that I bought from Idnet 2 years and a half ago. I never upgraded it, maybe that's the problem.

My PC firewall is OFF, ping is working.

Rik

Your router isn't responding to pings, though, so I can't tell you how that's looking. Is that the Trend firewall, or the Windows one, btw?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Did you try to send ping to my router?

The firewall is Trend

Rik

Yes, your router is stealthed, as is mine. :) With Trend off, turn on Windows firewall and try pinging again, if that works, it's a Trend problem.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Yes, it's a Trend issue. Ping works with IE firewall.

I tried to upload on the Chinese FTP with both firewall OFF and it timed-out.

Do you think that the conclusion of all these is that I have 2 different issues:
1) Issue specific to the Chinese FTP that is not related to my system but to them
2) A ping issue related to my Trend firewall that was probably already there but I never noticed it as it doesn't prevent me from using Internet in a normal way

Rik

Yes to both, Noelle. If you can open your router to pings briefly, I'll ping it from here for you, to give you an idea of the values I see.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

OK, how should I proceed to open my router?

Rik

I was hoping you wouldn't ask that :). Give me a sec to see if I can find the manual.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

I'm not exactly a computer expert as you may have guessed  ;)

Rik

Main router menu, WAN setup, check the box Respond to ping on internet WAN port. Let me know when you're ready and I'll test, then uncheck the box again.

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 14, 2010, 17:33:37
I'm not exactly a computer expert as you may have guessed  ;)

That makes many of us. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Where is the Main router menu?

Rik

Login to the router from your browser, it's on the left.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Yes the Chinese filtering system is likely to be working overtime with the current trade delegation there.

Rik

Wonderful things, democracies.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

On the left where? I don't get it.

Rik

Can you login to the router, normally http://192.168.0.1/ ?
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Noelle

No I cannot login, my credentials don't work.

Rik

Was your router set up for you? The normal login is admin/password.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Yes my credentials were setup for me. I plugged it and that's all. I have used the credentials I use to connect to my Idnet account.

Rik

They shouldn't be used by the router unless IDNet set it up. Have you tried admin/password?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Sorry, I had to reboot my PC to get rid of the login window. It's lovely to try to help me but I don't feel confident enough to go on with the opening of my router. I don't know which credentials to use.

I'm going to report the ping issue to Idnet support and the FTP issue to my Chinese. I think it's the best solution for now. Let me know if you have another idea.

Rik

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 14, 2010, 18:02:55
Sorry, I had to reboot my PC to get rid of the login window. It's lovely to try to help me but I don't feel confident enough to go on with the opening of my router. I don't know which credentials to use.

What happened to require a re-boot? You can't break the router just by logging in, so try admin/password and see what happens. Who set the router up - are you able to contact them? Are you on ADSL Maz (up to 8Mb) or WBC (up to 24 Mb)?

IDNet may well want to try pinging your router anyway, so be prepared.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Idnet set up my router. I tried all the credentials you mentionned. Nothing works. I had to reboot because I could close the window to the router anymore.

Rik

Could you not just close the browser?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Rik

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 14, 2010, 18:20:04
No, I couldn't.

Odd.

I've let support know you've been in touch and pointed them at this thread so that they know what you've already tried.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Ok, thanks a lot. I'm going to send an email to the support too.

Thanks a lot for your help  :) I really appreciate  :) :)

Rik

My pleasure, sorry we couldn't resolve everything for you. :)
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

We made progress, that's important.

Have a nice evening!

Nathalie

Rik

Rik
--------------------