FTP timing out

Started by Noelle, Nov 12, 2010, 23:51:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Noelle, no need to apologise, you English is fine.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noelle

C:\Users\Nathalie Suteau>ping www.idnet.net

Pinging www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 212.69.36.10:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

OK, the problem is that upload on FTP still doesn't work.

Noelle

I just did a BT speed tester and BT couldn't test my upstream - it could yesterday. There is a problem with my upstream, it's obvious and with my firewall.

What do you think I should do - knowing that turning off my firewall allows ping to travel but doesn't solve my FTP issue.

I'm back in 15-20 minutes.

Noelle

Glenn

Is the PC virus and malware free?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Your English is a lot better than my French, Noelle. :) Try turning both firewalls off (your router will continue to protect from inbound issues. See if that makes a difference. If not, then what FTP client are you using and what browser?
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

I just tried with both firewalls down: it failed, it timed-out again.

I use Internet Explorer and WinSCP. It failed with both.

I have another PC at home. My husband only connects it once or twice a day. It was disconnected all day long and when I made all the tests. Nevertheless, I tried to upload from his PC last night and FTP timed out too and he has Norton.

I'm not sure the issue comes from my PC, I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't come from the router or from Idnet as BT speed tester is unable to check my upstream speed - other speed testers show a normal upstream speed. This is very confusing.

Let me know what you think Rik. Thanks a lot for your help  :)

pctech

Is the server on IDNet's network or a different one?

Noelle

Tech, I'm not sure I understand your question. I have no server, just a PC and a router.

Here are the results of the BT speed tester WITH the Trend Micro firewall ON. I will try later with the firewall OFF.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
1535 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1535 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 21.67:19.99:58.33 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.

Noelle

My PC is malware free. I checked that too several times.

pctech

The server you are trying to FTP into, is it on IDNet or another network?

Noelle

OK I get it. On another network... in China! I tried with an FTP in Canada: same time-out.

pctech

I think you need to talk to support on Monday.

Steve

Just wondering whether your IP address has been blacklisted by the FTP server?
Steve
------------

esh

Do you know if you're using passive mode? This is a terrible throwback showing how old and horrible FTP is but it's required pretty much universally these days.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Noelle

My address had been blacklisted by the FTP server. Moreover, I time out with all FTP servers.

I don't know if I use the passive or active mode. How could I check that?

Thanks!

Noelle

The BT speed test is OK for upstream when I turn my firewall off. The problem is obviously my firewall. Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to check this issue with Trend Micro System.

pctech

Your customer/their server administrator should be able to tell you but passive should work in most cases.

Noelle

My customer is Chinese and I get no help from them at all. I'm going to report the problem to another customer. Btw, I meant "no blacklisted". This issue is confusing and ruining my week-end but I really appreciate your help, from all of you. My husband is in Belgium tomorrow, as soon as it's dark - 4pm - I'm going to run some more tests. Cheers.

Ted

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 13, 2010, 23:11:35
I don't know if I use the passive or active mode. How could I check that?

The option to use passive FTP is in the connection setup section of your FTP client. Here's what it looks like in Fire-FTP

Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Quote from: Noelle on Nov 13, 2010, 21:07:20
Let me know what you think Rik. Thanks a lot for your help  :)

Have you set up your webspace on IDNet's servers, Noelle? If not, I suggest you log in to the customer portal, then go to Broadband, free extras and do so. Once that's done, try FTPing to that server. If it doesn't work, it would suggest a general problem with your FTP/firewall setup. If it does, it would point the fingers at the remote server.
Rik
--------------------

armadillo

I was going to suggest uploading to your IDnet webspace but Rik already has!

I suggest you try a nice simple FTP client. I use WS_FTP LE 5.08. You can download it free here

http://www.oldversion.com/WS_FTP-Limited-Edition.html

On the advanced session properties tab, ensure you have passive mode.

Noelle

Hello everybody,

The ping test to www.idnet.net still fails but upload works. I just uploaded 8m on my Chinese FTP. I used IE8 in passive mode. And I uploaded pics on my FB page.

The BT speed tester was able to check my upstream and it works fine.

As you can see, the problem is very confusing as it is coming and going. I'm going to create a web space, download one of the FTP client you mentionned and come back to you.

Rik

Thanks, Noelle. I must admit I'm puzzled by the ping timeout.
Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Rik, you're going to be puzzled a little more: I have several FTP servers - one for each of my customers.

I just tried to upload 26meg on an FTP server in Canada. It worked in less than 15 minutes. 10 minutes before the upload on the Chinese FTP timed out for only 8meg. The ping test fails on the FTP server in Canada - it failed while I was successfully uploading  :bawl:

I'm using the passive mode with either IE8 or WS_FTP95 that someone suggested. The result is the same with both: it works with Canada not with China.

I think we can now be sure that my firewall is blocking the ping test but the FTP issue seems to be specific to the Chinese FTP. And yesterday the FTP timed out with the firewall OFF.

I don't know what to do to be honest.