Yippee fixed my wLAN :-)

Started by klipp, Nov 16, 2010, 14:27:18

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

I had a strange problem, my iPad was receiving dire downstream rates over wLAN on my Netgear WGN1000 router, like 0.05mb/s.  I figured I'd muck about with some router settings as this has been going on since I'd bought the router.  I changed the channel from auto to 1 and now I get full through-put. ;D  Not sure why changing channel would make a difference but there you go.  Anyone with snail-speed internet over wLAN, try changing to channel 1. :)

Lance

It has helped because the router had probably picked a channel being used by lots of others in the immediate area. This would have meant lots of traffic flying about on the spectrum and causing interference. By moving channel, you've moved away from this so that the iPad can now pick out the router much more clearly.

The best thing to do is to check using something like inssider to see which channels are in use before choosing the channel you are going to use.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

klipp

Yeh there are a bunch of wLAN choices available on my street including 2 BTFON hotspots.

Rik

Glad you're sorted. This kind of problem can only continue to grow as broadband proliferates and we find new uses for the 'net.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

esh

Pffft, just use your neighbour's connection, theirs isn't interfering with yours, yours isn't interfering with theirs, and you get free broadband!!

Wait a sec...
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011