Multiple logins on one line?

Started by Bill, Nov 18, 2010, 17:43:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Interesting. In theory, it can't happen but then again, we are talking about BT.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Well if any non idnet user wants to send me their login details , I'm happy to try and repeat it. ;D
Steve
------------

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Nov 18, 2010, 17:45:27
Interesting. In theory, it can't happen but then again, we are talking about BT.

Not strictly true, there's nothing on the networks to prohibit it, just that it's against BT rules. It normally happens for a day or so when you change ISPs, after all.

I had a chat with Simon about it a few years ago (can't remember if it was on here or on tbb), apparently there is a mechanism where it's possible to have two ISPs on one line, but I can't remember the details.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

But being to log into an ISP you're not validated for is odd, isn't it?
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Onmly validated as far as BT are concerned. In the example a valid username and password were held in the router meaning that once BT had been passed the ISP log in was possible.
Lance
_____

pctech

Thought this was part of the reason for the BRAS, to lock you to one provider?

Bill

Depends what you mean by "validated"... the connection is OK, that's all BT are interested in, it's just the billing that is likely to go to the wrong place!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Quote from: Lance on Nov 18, 2010, 17:53:34
Onmly validated as far as BT are concerned. In the example a valid username and password were held in the router meaning that once BT had been passed the ISP log in was possible.

I must start visiting my neighbours, router in hand. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

pctech

Quote from: Bill on Nov 18, 2010, 17:55:17
Depends what you mean by "validated"... the connection is OK, that's all BT are interested in, it's just the billing that is likely to go to the wrong place!

BT charge ISPs for how much traffic is transferred over their hostlinks Bill so any ISP is likely to notice PDQ.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

I asked Phil (yarwell) in that thread whether it could be related to the BT speedtester not asking for login information now, he thought it could. He usually knows what he's talking about...

If he's right it implies that it's deliberate.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Yes, I agree, Phil normally talks from knowledge, Bill.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

DorsetBoy

I found that I was able to log on to an old ISP 8/9 months after moving away. I needed to check my line with a different router and plugged in the old ISP supplied unit and it just lit up and connected me to the wrong ISP.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Bill on Nov 18, 2010, 18:12:01
The BT business model:

I bet you are waiting for Flog It to come to your area Bill  :evil:

Bill

Quote from: pctech on Nov 18, 2010, 18:08:20
A change in business model?

Just seen an ad on TV for BT, advertising the use of their Homehubs as wireless hotspots (OpenZone ??), could it be related to that?

ie the user may not be coming in on his/her "allocated" phone number, and hence the login info is less relevant in some way?

A pure guess, 'cos I don't know enough about how it works :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Technical Ben

Quote from: Bill on Nov 18, 2010, 18:12:01
The BT business model:

Oh my, I remember me/my brother having one of those!
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Technical Ben

Quote from: Bill on Nov 18, 2010, 19:20:13
Just seen an ad on TV for BT, advertising the use of their Homehubs as wireless hotspots (OpenZone ??), could it be related to that?

ie the user may not be coming in on his/her "allocated" phone number, and hence the login info is less relevant in some way?

A pure guess, 'cos I don't know enough about how it works :dunno:

Nope. That is via the existing BT homehub wifi. It logs in through that (not a seperate ISP/login). It's BT Openworld/BTFON AFAIK. Similar to a VPN? I'm not sure, but I don't think you do any logging in at the exchange, just someone's router.
[edit]
Oh, I see a massive advantage to this.
You can compare ISPs over the same line! At the same time (after a quick swap that is). OR if you use up your bandwidth with one provider, pay for a second.
Other uses would be highly... iffy?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

drummer

A few years ago, I connected to my friend's AOL service (with his login credentials) via my Tiscali ADSL line.

It struck me as odd at the time because the router had been reset to factory defaults, then configured for AOL, so it wasn't me connecting to his account using my login credentials.

A whois trace confirmed that I was connected to the interwebs via AOL, even though Tiswas was my ISP.

I could've read all his emails if I wanted, so that was weird.
To stay is death but to flee is life.