Gmail/Youtube

Started by jezuk1, Nov 19, 2010, 12:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

That's very interesting Simon.

Aaron

Looks like it's affecting IMDB as well, not the actual homepage but once you try to view a particular movie page, such as http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/ which is displaying a broken page with no stylesheet.
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

pctech

I can confirm that page is working ok from a network connected to JANET.

I cant run a tracert from here though unfortunately.

gazzthompson

my youtube isnt working either.... for us non tech savy people , how can i fix this?

Glenn

Gazz, you can't according to what SimonD has said, it's in Google's hands.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

dudwell

Obviously YouTube is a huge enterprise, important to many users and I'd have expected there to be anguished complaints all over the 'net by now if it wasn't working properly. Now I've been drifting about, looking at forums here and there, and I'm struck by the shortage of discussion relating to the troubles which are engaging us here. Perhaps I've not been looking in the right place?

I've seen Simon's post above but still the thought persists in creeping into my mind: could this possibly be an IDNet-specific problem?

pctech

All links mentioned working ok for me though I think Zen's DNS resolvers only flush once every 24 hours so I may be using 'good' IP addresses.

pctech

Make sure you flush your caches, particularly DNS so that Windows isn't using a bad IP.

I have actually disabled the DNS client in Windows so the machine has to query the resolvers.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Nov 20, 2010, 22:27:14
Make sure you flush your caches, particularly DNS so that Windows isn't using a bad IP.

I have actually disabled the DNS client in Windows so the machine has to query the resolvers.

Flushing does not make much difference with Google playing up so much, saying that I have noticed a few American sites being more glitchy as of late even had issues with Adobe the other day and Netgears site as well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

jezuk1

I haven't been able to access YouTube much for the past 2-3 days now. The page is just stuck on "Connecting to s.ytimg.com". If the page loads it's just a very basic text-only style. I've casually asked a few friends on other providers and they haven't reported any problems at their end. All very strange  :)

.Griff.

Quote from: jezuk1 on Nov 21, 2010, 00:11:22
I haven't been able to access YouTube much for the past 2-3 days now. The page is just stuck on "Connecting to s.ytimg.com". If the page loads it's just a very basic text-only style. I've casually asked a few friends on other providers and they haven't reported any problems at their end. All very strange  :)

Same here. From my IDNet connection it eventually loads a basic text style page but the video itself won't play but when I was visiting my parents yesterday it worked perfectly from their O2 (LLU) connection.

Ted

Quote from: jezuk1 on Nov 21, 2010, 00:11:22

I've still had no problem here, and I've used the tube a lot today.

This is a long shot, but there is a super cookie that is set by s.ytimg.com in the macromedia directory called "settings.sol". I use  BetterPrivacy and have it set to delete all LSO cookies and the cache, on Firefox shutdown. Could be worth clearing those LSO's and see what happens.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Gary

Go here select the web privacy setting and clear all sites, it does the same thing as Ted was saying but directly from Flashplayers control panel Oh it didn't work by the way. What DNS are you using Ted? I tried from my friends PC on O2 as well, it worked fine every time  :dunno:

.Griff.

Quote from: Gary on Nov 21, 2010, 01:28:59
Go here select the web privacy setting and clear all sites, it does the same thing as Ted was saying but directly from Flashplayers control panel

Tried that although it said "delete all sites" rather than clear all sites.

Still having major problems with Youtube.

After about 30 seconds I finally get this -

Gary

Quote from: .Griff. on Nov 21, 2010, 02:08:44
Tried that although it said "delete all sites" rather than clear all sites.

Still having major problems with Youtube.

After about 30 seconds I finally get this -

Delete all sites and clear all sites is pretty similar terminology when its cookies, both remove them completely.

It was working fine just now, watched a 1080p vid, now its dead again  :sigh:

.Griff.

Glad it worked, albeit temporarily for you, but Youtube has been inaccessible completely for me for the last few days and continuing.

It's just odd how some other BTW reseller customers don't mention any problems?!?

markm

Quote from: jezuk1 on Nov 19, 2010, 12:22:02
I guess this isn't anything really to do with IDnet, but has anybody else noticed that the YouTube website has been painfully slow today and last night? The pages aren't really loading at all, or sometimes partly without stylesheet etc etc.

???

same issues here. i've read through the thread and presume this *is* something to do with IDnet?

Ted

Quote from: Gary on Nov 21, 2010, 01:28:59
Go here select the web privacy setting and clear all sites, it does the same thing as Ted was saying but directly from Flashplayers control panel Oh it didn't work by the way. What DNS are you using Ted? I tried from my friends PC on O2 as well, it worked fine every time  :dunno:

I'm using Norton DNS, Gary. I've just been on youtube again this morning, no problems whatsoever. I'm finding it hard to believe that I'm just incredibly lucky, and when I use it, it's ok, as I've used it a lot over the last few days.

I have in the past, had the text page issue that you're seeing, but it always gets rectified after clearing the cache in FF. Not happened for quite a while though.

Not sure what's going on, if it's IDNet, why don't I see it, if it's Google, why does it work on o2?  :dunno:
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

That's the problem, isn't it, Ted. Diagnosing a fault which seems to either come and go, or affect people differently.  :shake:
Rik
--------------------

JB

Interesting!

I too have been experiencing the same problems described in this thread. I have just changed my computer DNS settings to Norton and the problem seems to have gone away. I can (once again) instantly load uTube videos and IMDB displays correctly.

Edit: Using Firefox and ChromePlus browsers on XP.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Gary

Quote from: Ted on Nov 21, 2010, 10:50:50
I'm using Norton DNS, Gary. I've just been on youtube again this morning, no problems whatsoever. I'm finding it hard to believe that I'm just incredibly lucky, and when I use it, it's ok, as I've used it a lot over the last few days.

I have in the past, had the text page issue that you're seeing, but it always gets rectified after clearing the cache in FF. Not happened for quite a while though.

Not sure what's going on, if it's IDNet, why don't I see it, if it's Google, why does it work on o2?  :dunno:
Its an odd one Ted  :( It works perfectly then stops then works then stops and deleting the LSO's (good privacy tip there)  :thumb: does not help, I use easy Privacy in AdblockPlus and I wondered if it was that. I use youtube alot I even post a few rambles so not using it is a bit annoying. I honestly have no idea what's causing this though. I tried Opend DNS and tbh it was so slow and it did not help I went back to IDNets, I wonder if I should try Norton's. None of my friends in the States have this issues so maybe its a localised BT glitch for some in the UK.

Rik

All the listed sites are working here, for the moment. Try Ted's tip, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 21, 2010, 11:10:57
All the listed sites are working here, for the moment. Try Ted's tip, Gary.
I may well Rik I'm just getting fed up of playing with my router  ;) its never seen so much attention.

Rik

It's weird. We know it's not totally IDNet specific, because there's been a similar report from a Virgin customer. I'm wondering about the LONAP issue.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 21, 2010, 11:14:20
It's weird. We know it's not totally IDNet specific, because there's been a similar report from a Virgin customer. I'm wondering about the LONAP issue.
Using the flash control panel to delete LSO's did not help at all, I could change to Nortons DNS but right now I am tbh fed up of trouble shooting, its Sunday and I think Justina is as well  ;)