Gmail/Youtube

Started by jezuk1, Nov 19, 2010, 12:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Quote from: gazzthompson on Nov 21, 2010, 20:09:30
whats all this DNS stuff ? i feel slightly embarrassed suggesting Idnet to my friend few months ago with the various outages and now this.. i know its not IDnetts problem but he doesn't know any different.. all he knows is his expensive internet isnt working as it should  :dunno:

In simple terms, a DNS server translates a human address e.g. www.idnet.net into a readable IP address e.g. 123.234.345.456

However, something somewhere has gone a tad wrong with said DNS servers, whose fault that is we don't know, but we do know that Norton DNS servers seem to be working fine.

Does your friend need any help changing servers? it should only be a temporary issue.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Technical Ben

DNS stands for Domain Name System. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
It basically tells the computer where things are on the internet.
Somewhere, the settings or reply from the DNS server have gone wrong. It appears it may have been Google first, then IDNet to be effected. Perhaps the other DNS servers corrected the problem quicker than IDNets own server. I'm not sure about that bit though.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

gazzthompson

How do i get onto norton DNS then?

Ted

Quote from: gazzthompson on Nov 21, 2010, 20:58:52
How do i get onto norton DNS then?

You can do it in the router or if you use windows you can change them there. The servers for NDNS are 198.153.192.1 and 198.153.194.1

Someone can help you with windows, I don't use it.
Ted

psp83

On Windows 7

Control panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center

You will see "Connections: Local Area Connection"

Click on "Local Area Connection"

Click on the "Properties" button on the window that opens.

Click "Yes" if prompted

Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

Click the radio next to "Use the following DNS server addresses"

Now enter DNS IP's in the fields and click ok

psp83

For Windows XP

Control Panel > Network Connections and select your local network.

Click "Properties", then select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

Click "Properties"

Ted

Ted

psp83

For Windows Vista

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Manage network connections

Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties

Click the Networking tab.

Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click Properties

psp83

klipp

Looks like the regular DNS is working again for youtube.

Simon_idnet

We've not had a response from Google/Youtube about the problem yet. I've chased them again this morning.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

lerigo

Hello All

I am very new to this message board, although have been a customer of IDnet for some years now.

I've also been having real problems with YouTube's website not loading correctly for the last 4 days or so now, which coincided with the purchase of a new router (you can imagine I thought it was a problem with the new router!!)

I've changed the DNS settings as shown just a few posts above me (not a clue what I was doing, but by following it all exactly, YouTube now works) so thank you to all those who were on the ball and helped us all out.

My question is:

When things are fixed (by who ever) do I need to alter the DNS settings again, back to what they were originally (sounds like I know what I am talking about here)?

Thanks again.

Mark

Steve

:welc: :karma:

No need to change back unless you wish to experiment with various DNS servers.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

:welc: :karma:

I wouldn't say you need to alter the settings again as they are really a matter of personal preference. Some users choose to use IDNets DNS while others favour something like OpenDNS.
zap
--------------------

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

You don't need to change back, Mark, unless you find things feeling a bit slow, in which case you might want to revert to using IDNet's servers, which should be faster.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Rik

Well, we were obviously all busy typing. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Sticking with the Norton dns at the moment works fine for me, it seems to offer some extra protection, nothing is infallible but its useful, and for me it is so much faster. OpenDns is good but does not seem so fast at resolving addresses , but geography can play a part in that anyway as to where the servers are in relation to you I guess, amongst other factors. It will be good for Idnet to get the google situation sorted though  :fingers:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Simon.
--

lerigo

Thank you all, you're all very quick in replying - am impressed!

I used the settings given for Norton DNS, didnt know if I would be creating further problems or not, if I didnt revert back to the settings I had before, so hopefully I won't.

The settings I did have, before I entered the numbers for Norton DNS were just blank boxes, no numbers were entered in at all.

I think I will leave things as they are for the moment and see if IDNet get a response or manage to fix things (that's if it's something they have to do/fix rather than YouTube/Google) before reverting back to how things used to be, if I can remember how to do it (gulp!!)

Mark

zappaDPJ

At this moment in time using IDNet's DNS, the YouTube pages are being served to me with style sheets but the content won't stream.
zap
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: lerigo on Nov 22, 2010, 13:17:43
The settings I did have, before I entered the numbers for Norton DNS were just blank boxes, no numbers were entered in at all.

You were probably on the 'detect automatically' default, Mark.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: lerigo on Nov 22, 2010, 13:17:43
Thank you all, you're all very quick in replying - am impressed!

I used the settings given for Norton DNS, didnt know if I would be creating further problems or not, if I didnt revert back to the settings I had before, so hopefully I won't.

I think I will leave things as they are for the moment and see if IDNet get a response or manage to fix things (that's if it's something they have to do/fix rather than YouTube/Google) before reverting back to how things used to be, if I can remember how to do it (gulp!!)

Mark
They were blank boxes because they were set to get from the ISP automatically, unless the DNS is slower there is no real reason to worry, it all does the same thing, some just have extra layers of good things like OpenDNS, ClearCloud DNS, Norton DNS, just think of it as if you are just using a different phone book at home to look up a number you want to call, but you are still using your own phone to dial from, the other DNS servers like OpenDNS and Norton DNS can in theory off you a extra layer of protection compared with your own ISP's ones that's all  :)

What Rik  said.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Nice analogy, Gary. :thumb:
Rik
--------------------