Gmail/Youtube

Started by jezuk1, Nov 19, 2010, 12:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 13:23:17
Nice analogy, Gary. :thumb:
Thanks, Rik. I had to explain it to Justina last night and that sprang to mind as we just had a new phonebook of some kind derived a while back.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

lerigo

Rik, actually that does ring a bell.

For future reference, what are the IDNet DNS settings that I should/could use or is it better to use "detect automatically"?

As an aside, when I had problems getting on to YouTube, with IDNet, if I connected to the net using a neighbours un-secured wireless connection (naughty I know!) that would allow me to get on to the YouTube site, without a problem, which is why I presumed it was a problem with the new router I'd bought - which after spending £110 on last week turned the air blue to say the least!

Mark

PS Thanks Gary for putting the explanation into language that an numpty like me can understand!

.Griff.

IDNet DNS servers are 212.69.36.3 and 212.69.40.3 but you might as well leave the router to detect them automatically.

Alternatively a lot of people use OpenDNS - http://www.opendns.com/ - which has it's own advantages as outlined on their website.

Gary

Quote from: lerigo on Nov 22, 2010, 13:31:09

PS Thanks Gary for putting the explanation into language that an numpty like me can understand!

You are not a numpty Mark  :)  :karma: :welc:

Gary

Quote from: .Griff. on Nov 22, 2010, 13:35:29
IDNet DNS servers are 212.69.36.3 and 212.69.40.3 but you might as well leave the router to detect them automatically.

Alternatively a lot of people use OpenDNS - http://www.opendns.com/ - which has it's own advantages as outlined on their website.
They are detected now with 216.69.40.3 as the primary for some reason these days Griff. I tried OpenDNS but for me it was slower, I liked the control panel etc though. Saying that whatever works does me just fine.

.Griff.

Quote from: Gary on Nov 22, 2010, 13:39:46
They are detected now with 216.69.40.3 as the primary for some reason these days Griff. I tried OpenDNS but for me it was slower, I liked the control panel etc though. Saying that whatever works does me just fine.

My bad.. I just took them from my settings page  :blush:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I leave the router on auto and set the DNS choice on the local network adaptor, it's very easy to change the adaptor DNS settings on a Mac as they can be saved separately as different locations, 2 mouse clicks and DNS settings changed and no IP addresses to remember. If you wish to have the advanced security and parental controls is best to set the DNS on the router which can then only be changed with knowledge of the admin password or a nearby paperclip.  ;)
Steve
------------

Rik

Though the disadvantage there is that it will generally cause a router re-boot, so pick your time to change.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 16:04:32
Though the disadvantage there is that it will generally cause a router re-boot, so pick your time to change.
Does not make much difference to my line, Rik. It's the same day or night maybe a drop of 1bd at night if that.

Rik

Same here, Gary, but on some lines it can be significant.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 16:26:50
Same here, Gary, but on some lines it can be significant.
On my old one it was massive difference in sync speed between morning and night.

Rik

Anyone having problems with Twitter? I'm seeing the same sort of stylesheet issue we were getting over the weekend with IDNet, but this is through Norton. IDNet is fine for Twitter and YT.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 16:36:10
Anyone having problems with Twitter? I'm seeing the same sort of stylesheet issue we were getting over the weekend with IDNet, but this is through Norton. IDNet is fine for Twitter and YT.  :dunno:
Twitter is all ok here, Rik on Norton DNS.

Rik

Weird. So now Norton is behaving as IDNet was over the weekend... :shake:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 16:38:45
Weird. So now Norton is behaving as IDNet was over the weekend... :shake:
Its all working fine for me on Norton, Rik.  :dunno:

Ray

No problem here with Twitter on Norton, Rik.
Ray
--------------------

pctech

Twitter/YT still ok for me Rik.

markiep

I am getting exactly the same problem with youtube for the last couple of days have tried 4 machines running windows 7 /
Linux Mint / Ubuntu / Peppermint & Puppy, also tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, & Opera all have the same problem.
All other sites seem ok - have not tried changing the DNS setting as it seems to much hassle at the moment.

Was going to give support a ring but as they are aware of the issue from this thread I will leave it and se
what happens.

Cheers Mark

Simon_idnet

Still no human response from Google/Youtube - they've only responded with an automated ticket number so far.

But, I've not been able to replcate the problem for an hour or so now and I've noticed that they've stopped sending DNS server addresses in the range that we complained about. This doesn't conclusively prove that it's been fixed only that Google seem to hve worked around the issue for the time being.

Rik

Thanks, Simon, as mentioned above, I'm now seeing similar issues using Norton.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 17:23:51
Thanks, Simon, as mentioned above, I'm now seeing similar issues using Norton.  :dunno:
Thats really odd, all is working as before for me on Norton I have not seen those issues, Rik.  :dunno:

Rik

The same thing was  happening with YT on Saturday, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Nov 22, 2010, 17:27:17
The same thing was  happening with YT on Saturday, Gary.
Just checked the Norton forums, no mention either, oh well, what will be will be.

Rik

Switched back to IDNet, all sites OK.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------