Any benefit to upgrading 2700 firmware?

Started by tredders, Nov 21, 2010, 11:07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

tredders

Hi all

After being unhappy with the performance of my Netgear 834G, I've dug out my old 2700, and configured that.  Works well, hugely improves my ping rate (go figure!), and my connection speeds seem a little higher.

However, it's currently running 4.25.33 firmware, and from reading up here, this is significantly out of date.  However, it runs fine, and I've got no issues with it, so I'm wondering what the benefits of upgrading to a newer firmware would be?  For info, I've cut & pasted my connection details below, as i've read that some of the newer firmware releases aren't ideal for long lines: -

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair):   Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol:   G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate:   3904 kbps
Upstream Rate:   448 kbps
Channel:   Interleaved
Current Noise Margin:   16.0 dB (Downstream), 8.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation:   43.1 dB (Downstream), 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power:   19.8 dBm (Downstream), -3.0 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information:   Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info:   0/38

Any recommendations or thoughts would be welcomed!

Cheers

Mark.

Rik

Personally, I work on the principle "if it ain't broke...", but someone will be along to tell you if you need to upgrade at all shortly.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

tredders

Quote from: Rik on Nov 21, 2010, 11:12:53
Personally, I work on the principle "if it ain't broke...", but someone will be along to tell you if you need to upgrade at all shortly.

I pretty much feel like that, Rik.  However, if there's a compelling reason (i.e. potential performance improvement), I could be tempted  ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MisterW

QuotePersonally, I work on the principle "if it ain't broke...",
In general I'm with Rik on that one.
The only thing I would say is that I'm pretty sure that 4.25.33 is not going to work very well should you ever upgrade to ADSL2+.