Remote FTP transfer question

Started by Ted, Feb 23, 2011, 17:54:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I've just set up a Qnap TS-110 NAS server, mainly for backup, storage and to run Squeezebox server. Very easy and works like a dream, I put a WD10EALS 1tb drive in it  ;D

I've set up the FTP server on it and it all works well, locally and remotely, I've just had Claire download a file from her laptop in Uni.  :thumb:

My question is, if you download a file from a remote site, is that the same as me uploading a file from home, i.e. free?

And if I upload from a remote site, is that the same as me downloading a file at home, i.e. adds to download quota?

Or is it something completely different.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

If Claire's downloaded, Ted, then that's an upload from you and, therefore, free. If you upload from a remote site, I think it would be chargeable as your system has to download the data.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Feb 23, 2011, 17:59:27
If Claire's downloaded, Ted, then that's an upload from you and, therefore, free. If you upload from a remote site, I think it would be chargeable as your system has to download the data.

That's as I thought it would be, just thought I'd check. There won't be loads of transfers, just the odd document or photo.
Ted

Rik

I could be wrong, Ted, but that seems the logical data transfer to me.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ted

Quote from: Rik on Feb 23, 2011, 18:09:47
I could be wrong, Ted, but that seems the logical data transfer to me.

No, I think you're right, it is the most logical way, you can't upload and download the same file at the same time, (well, I suppose you could if you already had the file... but!) it would defy the law of non contradiction! IMHO  ::)
Ted