Rising Ping

Started by psp83, Nov 24, 2010, 15:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Hey,

Over the last few days my ping has been getting higher by little increments and I hope it doesn't carry on rising.

Question is, what could be causing this?

22nd Oct 2010

23rd Oct 2010

24th Oct 2010

Rik

Given the timing, Paul, I'd be inclined to say kids coming home from school plus darker evenings.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

At 6am and 10 am? The min latency has risen from around 16 -20ms looking at the 3 graphs.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Agreed, but there's a bunch starting at ~4pm, which coloured my thinking.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Higher congestion then. It must be growing very fast! :O
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

psp83

I thought it was the school kids aswell but it hasn't dropped back down, it got high, dropped to normal, got higher again, stayed high and increased again today at 10am.

Rik

I'm puzzled, Paul, if the third image is today's (and not October, as labelled), then why is there a pattern part 4pm, when you posted before 4pm?

The only obvious answer, though would be congestion, logically at your exchange - unless you're being affected by one of the BT faults that are around, but you shouldn't be.
Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

I don't think it's attributed to congestion. If it was it would look similar to this -

(Those examples were taken when of Be's key links, Akamai, when down and they were forced to use a backup which became congested)

The "stepped" increase in your case looks like BT increasing the level of interleaving on your line/profile maybe because of the amount of errors detected or an increase in noise.

The same happens to me occasionally but the minimum ping "steps" back down again the next day and remains like that for a few weeks before it goes back up again.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Changes like that are most unlikely to be congestion related, that shows up on the yellow as it's not consistent.

Looks more like a change of routing for some reason, I saw something like that on Monday night while BT did their work at Stepney Green.

Edit to add:

By the way, your clock seems to be a month slow :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

psp83

Sorry I've seem to gone a little mad today lol.

The charts are from this month and not last lol..

Quote from: Rik on Nov 24, 2010, 17:24:57
then why is there a pattern part 4pm, when you posted before 4pm?

The last one is a live chart for today, so if u look at it at 8pm then it will show upto 8pm today..

Rik

So it's a rolling 24 hour display, Paul?
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Cold weather?
More people staying in and using the internet/tv instead of going out? It will cycle back around to low pings when we have a heat wave. :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

.Griff.

Quote from: Rik on Nov 24, 2010, 18:49:18
So it's a rolling 24 hour display, Paul?

Yep.

You can either take a "snapshot" graph/plot or you can display it "live" which automatically updates.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: .Griff. on Nov 24, 2010, 18:56:55
You can either take a "snapshot" graph/plot or you can display it "live" which automatically updates.

Not 100% sure (depends whether Jake has fixed the bug), but I think the "Snapshot Graph" will continue to update forever... it's best to use the "Previous Days" option, select today's date and use that one. It'll update until midnight then stop.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

esh

I don't see this, so I guess it must be a 'local exchange thing'.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

zappaDPJ

My ping doubled a couple of weeks ago. I don't know why but as it's remained stable and low (under 20ms) I'm not greatly concerned about it.

zap
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Nov 25, 2010, 12:05:30
My ping doubled a couple of weeks ago. I don't know why but as it's remained stable and low (under 20ms) I'm not greatly concerned about it.

I told you to be careful with those little blue pills  :laugh:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------