Anyone feel their connection is 'capped' @ 512k?

Started by kuja, Jun 18, 2006, 16:29:53

Previous topic - Next topic

kuja

For the past few days my speeds have been exactly of a 512k connection. I've only took proper notice of it today as my max throughput is still at 60kbps. At first I just thought it was contention and ignored it but the speeds have remained the same day and night.

A few days ago I couldn't load any website even though the line was synched at the usual 8128. The router log was showing something alone the lines of:

QuoteInitialize LCP.
LCP is allowed to come up.
Line down.

Repeatedly.

Yesterday was the same.  I rebooted the router etc and it still wouldn't load any webpage. After 15-20mins of fiddling about, everything, magically started working again.

I've ran various speedtests and the speeds are 60kbps down - maximum. My speeds are usually 700kbps down (5.5mbit ?). My upload, however, is fine...

Router stats:

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed    8128 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    35 db    12 db
Noise Margin    8 db    22 db

Never caused me a problem ^^.

Any ideas?

Edit: just checked on plusnet exchange checker that on the 12th there was a major service outage on my exchange. My areacode is listed too..hmm

Scott

Kuja
divining the tea-leaves...I'd guess some exchange-related tinkering is occuring. As ever run the BT Speedtest and rule out IDNet (perish the thought !)

Next step - Call up CS and they'll set their diagnostic wheels in motion.
HTH & GL

[edit]
Ahaaah ! Just got the bottom of your post. I'll bet whatever took out your exchange in such an extreme fashion, BT will have done enough to get it back off it's knees and are prolly now just getting it back up to nominal...hang in there buddy !
[/edit]
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

kuja

hehe thanks mate :). ive ran the bt speed test:

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user xxxxxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

482 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

tried the giganews speed test/zen test files aswell, 60kbps.

to be honest im not really bothered at the moment (worldcup) but i would appreciate my fast connection back :D

thanks mate :D

kuja

mrapoc

usually (i have noticed from past experience) that these problems will fix themselves if u leave them (i had no choice being with talktalk lol) but if u CANNOT connect at all def. ring cs as i did. strange router..strange  :-\