speed expectation

Started by rhino, Jun 02, 2006, 15:54:05

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino

I am now getting between 1Mbs and 4.5Mbs,4.5Mbs was 4.00AM this morning,if my line is 900 metres from my exchange and my stats are- noise margin 26dB up and 11dB down and attenuation is 23dB up and down should i be able to get 6Mbs easy do you think?

Bill

I'm assuming the speeds you quote are for data, you don't say.

Your line length (but mainly SNR) will determine what sync speed you'll get, but that's got practically nothing to do with data rate you can achieve apart from setting a ceiling on it. Data rate depends (mostly) on how contended your exchange is, and the pattern of variation during a period of 24 hours will depend on the balance of business and domestic users- business users get priority when available bandwidth gets tight.

Your speeds seem a bit low, my guess is you've got a busy exchange >:(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

rhino

Thats my speed test results, i get confused with what speeds what, i think my speed test results are data speed and sync is what it says when you hover your cursor over the 2 little monitors in the task bar, probably wrong on both lol.So my speed test results are 1MB to 4.5Mb when i hover my cursor over the 2 little monitors it says 100Mbs !As i got a router. My rate in the router status says 8128kbps and on the BT web site when i put my phone number in it says i should get 6Mbs.As you can see i am NOT CLUED UP ! lol. ( i had a bump on the head as a child )

Bill

Quote from: rhino on Jun 02, 2006, 21:17:06My rate in the router status says 8128kbps

Yup, that's your downstream sync speed, and I'd be pretty sure that the upstream speed would be 448kbps. They're determined by the quality of your telephone line.

The others (from speed tests etc) are data speeds, and are largely in the lap of the gods  >:(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

rhino

Right all you clued up guys/dolls, yesterday i realised the phone socket which my PC connects to is not the master socket,which i always thought was!!!!  :crazy: i tracked the master socket down to in the loft, live in a bungalow, so i got an extention cable to run from the test socket in the master to my PC, the only difference in stats was a noise margin increase from 10 to 16dB. Is that good? and is it worth getting my master socket put down behind my PC for the small dB increase?

Gilba

Unless you have a unstable the extra margin won't help. It looks like your reduce speed is down to a contended exchange. Think I got the correct word in there  ???.

rhino

GOD my speeds are cr*p gone down to 667kbps now maybe if i smash my head into my monitor and shout speed up it will.
Maybe its to do with the date tomorrow!!??
6-6-06- the number of the beast 666 and look at my speed tonight,

Scott

Quote from: rhino on Jun 05, 2006, 21:34:20
maybe if i smash my head into my monitor and shout speed up it will.
yep...threats of physical violence always worked for me in the past with electronics  ;) Either that or go have a coffee...ignore it for a while and it'll soon feel lonely and unloved. ;D

Check you enchange status here - should give you an idea of how busy things are in there.

GL
S
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

rhino

My exchange operates 8,236 Residential premises and 460 non residential premises.

Also had a reply Email  from CS Miriam, looks like BT has assigned me the wrong MSR, 288Kbps to be exact. So will need to wait for 3 days for Mr Stallone ooops....... i mean BT's   " RAMBo " ( ??????????? yeah fine )  system

mrapoc

Jeff

Rhino, feel yer pain man, let us know how things pan out. BTW, can`t hurt to have your hardware as near to master socket as possible. If you need to run an extension from anywhere, use Cat5 modem cable, it`s sheilded and very cheap to buy at say Amazon. Doesn`t look pretty if you have to nail it to a skirting board,  invest in some plastic mini-trunking :)

rhino

This is cr*p man 1.4Mbs speet test,  at this rate i will have to fit some pedals and power it up manually BT are  cr*p they should of upgraded there old stone age eqipment before getting into broadband max!

rhino

Getting a lovely 1Mb speed now better than before was 800kbps

7260kbps now oh sh*t that 0 should not of been on the end,wishfull thinking, 726kbps 

[attachment deleted by admin]

rhino

Speed is 2Mbs at the moment, get between 700kbps and 5Mbs but my MSR is only 255kbps,having a new master socket fitted next wednesday so will have my MSR reset then and wait another 10 days, should be ok then i hope

mrapoc

im right next to my master socket, and under a mile from the exchange and i still get major speed drops plus connection errors on cs servers  :(
my stats atm ill post some more wen i get more problems

QuoteModemstate            :  up
Operation Mode        :  G.992.1 Annex A
Channel Mode          :  fast
Number of resets      :  3

Vendor                              Local           Remote
  Country             :               0f               b5
  Vendor              :             TMMB             TSTC
  VendorSpecific      :             0000             0000
  StandardRevisionNr  :               00               01

Downstream        Upstream
Margin       [dB]     :             16.0             22.0