very low ip profile how long to recover?

Started by Lovejoy, Nov 24, 2010, 16:37:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Lovejoy

I have had a stable connection since the last general failure with no drops and a consistant IP profile of 7150 (Max product).
Post Monday nights planned work was unable to connect so carried out stale session procedure but it took many attempts to establish a connection with very low speeds <500k. As the situation did not improve overnight I tried a further stale session reboot today with a sync of 7648 and noise margin of 12  (recently sync has been solid at 8128 with a noise margin of 9) and bt speed tester gives speed as 220K and IP profile of 350k which is exactly the same 3 hours later.

Support informed me that my profile and hence speed will recover by itself.

My question is how long should I allow for my IP profile and speed to recover before disturbing support again and is there anything I can do to expedite the recovery.

Rik

There's nothing you can do to speed things up except to leave well alone. A large change like that should work through in a few hours or so unless DLM has decided the line is unstable. Maximum wait time is five days.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lovejoy

Thank you for the advice Rik.
As my profile has not moved five hours after reboot it seems your suggestion that DLM concluding ( incorrectly) I have an unstable line may be correct. Is this something support could help me with tomorrow or do I need to wait the five day max reset time, living with the 350k profile ( with two teenage on-line gamers in the house resulting in a lot of grief)

Rik

You can ask them to try a reset, sometimes BT will, sometimes they won't (BT that is).
Rik
--------------------

Lovejoy

Thank you for the updated respones and very usefull link.

After speaking to support today it seems my problem was more sinister than waiting for my IP profile to catch up. Although my profile showed as 350k on BT tester with a sync of 7648 from my end, when support checked the line from there prospective the IP profile was my previous long term 7150k. Support arranged a reset and within 90 minutes my profile has been restored to 7150 with a sync of 8128 with noise margin to spare.

I would welcome any suggestions as to what could have caused the mismatch and resulting problem and what I should do to avoid a repeat.  :fingers:

Rik

1) BT. 2) Unplug overnight if you know of any planned works. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Holodene

Which router? You may be able to force SNR.