Places Getting FTTC before 21CN?

Started by Technical Ben, Nov 28, 2010, 15:08:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

I would usually think it's better to get the best available when you can. But not if it causes delays for those stuck on even older systems.
So while BT is rolling out FTTC, does that mean 21CN is on hold? That we are not going to be upgraded to it? I just ask because it seems places like here are getting FTTC before 21CN.  ???
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

I thought FTTC was part and parcel of 21CN but I suppose the traffic could be transported over the old ATM backbone on 20CN.

Glenn

My own exchange is due to be upgraded to Fibre before it gets ADSL2+ http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/THBW
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Hmmm. Seems we need another 700 odd properties at least in my town before we get any upgrades.  :bawl:

Rik

I suppose BT may think it cheaper to skip ADSL2 in some places and move straight to fibre.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I don't think ADSL2+ has performed as well as they'd hoped and they have had a lot of negative feedback via service providers.

Rik

That's definitely true, but then much of that has been down to a poor network design, the same one they'll be using for fibre. :(
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Niall

God knows when Wrexham are getting it. It did say March next year on samknows at one point, but now it just says unavailable and this: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/01/01/bt-promotes-faster-fibre-optic-and-adsl2-broadband-for-wales-in-2010.html

Makes me think the "by 2012" comment means, yeah we're leaving you lot until December 2012 if you're lucky.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Glenn

What does the FTTC checker say on IDNet, Niall?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

December for me, maybe. It lists Milton Keynes GSC, so whether that's all of MK or not I don't know. Increasingly, though, I feel that fibre is not for me - I just wouldn't make use of its potential.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

pctech

Can't get FTTC round here as they are rolling out FTTP and according to information I've found they prefer FTTP but are rolling out FTTC where FTTP is not commercially viable but the wholesale I saw suggested on a forum which was £44 a month is too high.

Steve

I'm the same fibre due 09/11 , no date for adsl2+ set.FTTC is part of 21CN the 'MSAN' is in the cabinet  and not in the exchange. Whether the exchange still  keeps dslam from the old network no idea.
Steve
------------

pctech

I think the DSLAM is replaced by the MSAN Steve if the whole area served by that exchange has been 21CN enabled.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Rik

Not from BT's pov. They are putting in a new core network and will move customers to it. Sadly, they don't seem to have planned it very well.
Rik
--------------------

Simon_idnet

Quote from: pctech on Nov 28, 2010, 19:49:03
Can't get FTTC round here as they are rolling out FTTP and according to information I've found they prefer FTTP but are rolling out FTTC where FTTP is not commercially viable but the wholesale I saw suggested on a forum which was £44 a month is too high.

Where a line is served direct from the Exchange (i.e. the house is so close to the Exchange that it is not connected to a cabinet) then they will be offered FTTP. It also seems that lines that currently receive a fairly high ADSL2+ speed are unlikely to have their cabinets upgraded.

Steve

Useful information thanks Simon. :thumb:
Steve
------------

pctech

Cheers Simon.

The wholesale checker reckons I can get FTTP where I am but noone will give me a price or rough guess as to what it'll cost when the trial ends.

Simon_idnet

BT haven't released prices yet Mitch.

pctech

Anton

Quote from: Rik on Nov 29, 2010, 16:30:50
Not from BT's pov. They are putting in a new core network and will move customers to it. Sadly, they don't seem to have planned it very well.

Out of interest Rik, do you mean the network isn't well planned or the transition of customers?

--
Anton.
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

Rik

The network, Anton. Look at the frequent failures of the Edinburgh metro node, which have disconnected Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of northern England for hours at a time since July. There's no resilience in the network, a single point failure can have massive consequences, unlike the internet. If a fire took out the Stepney Green node, most of us would be cut off. It's just poor (read cheapskate ;)) planning, imo.
Rik
--------------------

Anton

Quote from: Rik on Dec 01, 2010, 10:24:52
The network, Anton. <snip>

Presumably though, Open Reach have commercial SLAs with ISPs around performance of the end to end network. Is this BT overreaching to deliver service reach with resiliency to follow or is this as good as it gets?

Actually, I'm a bit long in the tooth to be asking a question like that...  :whistle:

Out of curiosity, if it's not commercially sensitive, what is the SLA for WBC offered to ISPs.

--
Anton.
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

Technical Ben

I think they were claiming 99% uptime. (may have been for home users though)
Might be some info around here: http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Broadband/Wholesale_Broadband_Connect_WBC/WBC_Terms_and_Conditions.html
But not sure of the technical terms.  :red:

Rik

Quote from: Anton on Dec 01, 2010, 12:29:21
Out of curiosity, if it's not commercially sensitive, what is the SLA for WBC offered to ISPs.

We're not privy to that kind of information, Anton, sorry. :(
Rik
--------------------

Gary

I wish I could get ADSL2+ or FTTC Mitch  :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

ADSL 2+ was great for the first month or so (connection was configured as that when I migrated back to Zen) but then it started a downward spiral to what ended up at 350 Kbps so requested a regrade, while I was waiting for BT to do the necessary I rang support and was told that the DLM had banded me at 575.

FTTP would be great but everything I've seen points to it being pricey.