Target margin resets

Started by tehidyman, Dec 04, 2010, 12:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

tehidyman

After installing Cat5e cables I appear to have my noise level considerably reduced and less erratic (monitored with RouterStats).  When my reported noise margin was about 16db I rebooted my Netgear router (DG834G v4) and my sync went from 2208 to2688kbps.  This sync has remained stable for 10 days.  Before then over 2000 lasted less than 24 hours.  I assume that after a stable period BT will reduce my target noise margin by 3db.  Do they then reset my sync rate as well or do I need to reboot to gain a higher sync?  I am extremely reluctant, even paranoid, to interrupt my connection in any way in case the "clock" is reset to zero. So how can I find out if or when my target has changed without any disconnection by me?
My current download speed from BT tester is 1091kbps with an IP profile of 2000.  Speedtest.net gave 1.95Mbps and Tbb 1.9Mbps. Attenuation is 51db and margin around 15.3db

Rik

You need to reboot, but wait at least 15 days. There's no way of finding out when the margin changes, sadly. Have you asked support to get the margin reset for you?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

tehidyman

Quote from: Rik on Dec 04, 2010, 12:54:04
Have you asked support to get the margin reset for you?
Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.  Support initiated a margin reset, which came into effect on 21 Sept 2010 with a sync at 4064 kbps. and eventually a download speed of 3081kbps from a profile of 3839. However by 29 Sept. my neighbour either had a new gadget, turned on his heating or both and my margin went up to 22db and download speed was down to below 1Mbps.  I know it was him because when he later went away for a few days it went back up to 2.45 Mbps and within an hour of his return I was back down to below 1Mbps.  Since then I have rewired my extension with Cat5e cable, ensured cable from filtered extension socket is as short as possible and Cat5e and router to PC cable ditto. I also replaced my Netgear DG834G v3 with a v4.  All this has got me to current situation but I want to go very very cautiously so will wait for a good 15 days.

Rik

It's much harder these days to get this sort of RF issue dealt with. A quiet word may help?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.