Dropping Internet Connection

Started by Monk, Nov 26, 2010, 19:14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Thanks for that, Steve. Just to be awkward, I find my netbook doesn't, though. If the wireless connection is established, plugging in the cable produces a limited or no connectivity message for it.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I can't recall whether you can set the priorities in windows, what happens on the netbook if you have an ethernet connection and turn on wifi? Do you lose the ethernet connection?
Steve
------------

davej99

Quote from: Steve on Dec 06, 2010, 13:02:02
Unless it's a Mac where you can set the service order, the default gives Ethernet priority over Wifi and it switches seamless from one to the other just by plugging in or removing the ethernet cable.
Steve, I see dual connections with distinct IPs and MACs. Does that mean dual connections are made but routing is switched as you describe, or should the wireless connection show as disconnected when an ethernet connection is made, as I have seen in the past?

davej99

Quote from: Rik on Dec 06, 2010, 13:04:55
Thanks for that, Steve. Just to be awkward, I find my netbook doesn't, though. If the wireless connection is established, plugging in the cable produces a limited or no connectivity message for it.  :dunno:
I have seen similar, Rik. Sometimes, but not always, when attaching a cable alongside a live wireless connection an IP conflict arises and the connection fails. Also seen connection to router made but onward to internet fail.

I have been wondering if the automatic switch over we have all seen is a feature of the connection drivers; or if the behaviour can be disabled to permit bridging, which I barely understand, and so may be talking yet more rubbish.  :blush:

But anyway we seem to have enough doubt to suggest to Monk that it might be better to disconnect a wireless connection in "Wireless Connections" before plugging in a cable and vice versa, at least to begin with; and better not to turn off router wireless from a wireless connection until the cable connection is up and running.

So basically, I agree, :dunno:

Steve

There is an intel NIC wifi and Ethernet combination that's supports adaptor switching in Windows.
Steve
------------

Rik

Quote from: Steve on Dec 06, 2010, 13:13:56
I can't recall whether you can set the priorities in windows, what happens on the netbook if you have an ethernet connection and turn on wifi? Do you lose the ethernet connection?

No, it stays with the cable and reports limited or no connectivity on wireless. It may be a Samsung 'feature' of course
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------