Stale sessions...... :(

Started by Xbandito, Jun 05, 2006, 09:25:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Xbandito

Now I am not having a go here but I am getting rather  >:( for this "stale session" lark seems to be happening an awful lot lately, Thursday, Sat and now monday morning, I switch on router and no internet  >:(
I have to switch off for approx 10mins and retry, sometimes it connects and sometimes its dead....
           Now what on earth is a "stale session" ?, why is whatever it is still there, when I have switched off the router the night before ?.

Before anyone asks "why do I switch off the router"......well if I dont, either we will be calling the fire brigade or I could cook my breakfast on it ...the thing gets hotter than the cooker  :o

B52

Doesn't that make you think you may have a router malfunction?

If it was me, I'd seriously think about getting a new one, for both reasons.

The heat may be the cause of the routers apparent 'stale sessions'  and if its as hot as you say you shouldn't take the chance.

Bill

TBH, that doesn't sound like a stale session, it sounds more like a dying router... mine is on 24/7 and the temperature rise is barely perceptible. Even the power brick doesn't get much more than tepid.

Can you get hold of a spare router to try? (A spare is handy anyway- eBay is a good source, I got a Netgear DG834 for under £30.)

c_j gave a good description of stale sessions on the AG IDNet forum- here
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Xbandito

Well this router has been going for about a year now....and it was as hot then as it is now....(so its taking a long time to die  ;) )
Plus the missus would kill me if I spent some more money on ebay.....spent enough in the last month...cameras and accesories etc etc.....I would like to see 2007  ;)

And if the worst happens and it does die.....I have my trusty BT voyager 100 modem for backup..... :D

Bill

Fair points, but I'll repeat my viewpoint- the symptoms don't sound like stale sessions and domestic electronic kit should not run too hot to touch. If it's been like that since new it's my guess that the power brick may be pushing out too high a voltage- they're not exactly precision units at the best of times, and, if it's a Netgear I think they had a period of problems with PSUs about a year or so ago (That's going on memory of their forums, so not 100% sure...)

Any chance you can measure the (on-load) voltage, or get someone to do it for you? It'll likely mean running the router with the top off, or breaking into the power lead, so if you're not sure what you're doing, don't.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

bobleslie

It's almost certainly not your router.

This is a problem for IDNet support. Get them to sort it out.  ;)

I agree these 'stale session' sagas need putting to bed.  ::)
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

mrapoc

The other day i had a "stale session" and i had to turn router off for another 10 mins b4 i could connect and my router is fine  :-\