Noise on the line?

Started by Niall, Dec 07, 2010, 22:28:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall

Out of curiosity what exactly causes noise on your phone line?

I don't know if you remember, but a while ago I had a lot of noise on my line, which lead me to think there was a problem at my end, with faceplates, etc. IDnet looked into it, but the problem resolved itself while they were looking into it so they couldn't actually do anything or find out anything as there was nothing to fix!

Anyhoo, yesterday while I was on the phone to the monkeys at digitalcamerashop.co.uk I noticed a LOT of noise on the line. My internet is fine, but I was wondering if my sisters line would suffer, as the last time I noticed this much noise on the line, their ADSL went absolutely haywire. Sure enough, I've just been talking to her other half and their internet is dropping like a whores drawers at a party!

What on earth causes this noise, and why is it suddenly back when there have been months of nothing but happy surfing? Is it degraded cabling on BTs side of things which really goes to the wall in bad weather or is it something else? I really have no idea what the something else would be, but one thing is for sure; when I hear noise on the line or see my connection wobble, my sisters line goes completely pear shaped.

I know they're in contact with IDnet at the moment who are looking in to this, but at my house and theirs, there is NOTHING at fault as we've both gone through all this over recent months. I'm pretty sure (well, I'm guessing) that it's the phone lines themselves as their connection is about 7mb whereas mine is 14mb, dropping to around 11-12 when the line gets noisy. When my line drops by 3mb, theirs just drops!

I'm confused  ???
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Water getting into a cable joint, corrosion etc, Niall. I had a similar issue, but it was at the distribution point just outside the house. They re-crimped the joint and the problem disappeared.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

It's just odd that it I can hear noise on my line at the exact time they can, then their connection drops totally. I think there may be a fault further down the line, nearer a main connection of BTs and maybe that as the houses by my sisters are a lot older, the phone lines are more degraded. If any problems show up at a main point in the line then the older phone lines suffer more than mine as a result.

I can't think of anything else it could be as everything has been tested. I have my doubts as to the quality of the cabling around here anyway, considering I'm under a mile in a straight line to the exchange (and it is a straight line to the exchange too!) and I'm only getting 14mb it does suggest the quality of the lines around here is suspect.

Ah well, time to sit here and wonder where my Amazon delivery has gotten to that should have arrived yesterday. Bloody weather!
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

You hear the noise when talking to them, or you synchronise listening?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I was only aware of it when he wasn't talking to me (this is when I called the camera place), there didn't seem to be any noise when he was speaking, which may just have been coincidence. I should mention that I was on the phone to my dad last night and the line was completely fine, so it's sorted itself once again, whatever the issue was!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Sorry, Niall, I'm a bit confused. Was the problem noise on your line, noise on your sister's line or noise between your line and your sister's?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Noise on my line and noise on my sisters line. It's just in general, not when I'm calling them (as I rarely do, as they're on messenger).

It's just that when I get it, it doesn't really bother me that much, but at the same time my sisters line becomes unusable along with their broadband.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Has she been in touch with support?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Yeah, her other half was yesterday. I haven't spoken to them since, I was just curious, I'm far too tired from the gym yesterday to care to phone :D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

;D

If they join here, I can do some digging on their behalf. :)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

For some reason he either won't join forums or only does so on the sly :D I basically do the rummaging around for info then when I get nowhere he phones support ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy