Profiles and sync speeds

Started by mark, Dec 12, 2010, 12:08:27

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

On 2nd December I returned to IDNet after a couple of years with PlusNet. Within a couple of days of migrating my IP profile and sync speeds plummeted. I have a long and noisy line, but I achieved consistent download speeds of around 2kbps. I am down to around 1200 kbps and still falling. After checking my records I confirmed that my profile and speeds had been stable for nearly 4 years and over 3 different ISPs. Needless to say I have made no changes to my equipment.

I spent most of Friday afternoon exchanging emails with support to try and find out why this had happened. I was informed that no investigation could take place as my line performance was within BT's acceptable parameters, and the line was working as best it could. It was suggested I try another router.

I have read carefully the FAQs relating to profiles and speeds. Could anyone please answer the following questions:

Do the profiles and sync speeds retrain following a migration?

Are the results set in stone? The only explanation I can think of is that the line has deteriorated over the last few days or months and this only came to light following the migration.

Can I force another retraining period in the hope I get better results?

Needless to say my tech knowledge is pretty thin.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Rik

The line may retrain after a migration, we've seen speeds go the other way. Profiles just follow sync speeds.

Results are not set in stone, if a fault is found and cleared, a re-train can be started. The big problem is getting BT to accept there's a fault.

No. It can only be done by the ISP.

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

mark

Thanks Rik.

Any chance all the snow and ice on the line during the retrain period might have affected things?

Glenn

Damp electrical joints can cause problems.
Glenn
--------------------

armadillo

It is also worth knowing that the 10 day training period does not set anything in stone in terms of your sync speed or profile. Both of those are just as able to change after the 10 day training as during it. The speed at which you sync depends on the noise margin of the line when you sync and the target noise margin set by BT. The target noise margin can also change at any time during or after the 10 day training period. And the profile is always somewhat below the sync speed.

All that the 10 day training period sets is the stable profile above which BT will refuse to investigate a fault related to download speed. Suppose that in the training period, you get that set by BT to, say, 2500.  Then a few weeks later your line improves and you get a higher sync so that your profile goes up to 7000. Suppose it stays that way for months on end. Then some fault occurs and your profile drops to 3000 and you rule out your wiring as a cause. You rightly consider that a fault needs to be investigated and you hope to call on BT. But BT will say your profile is 3000 which is higher than the 2500 fault level set in the training so they will not investigate it as a fault (perhaps they will if you pay them).

The only reason to retrain is that you believe your line has reached a new stable low connection speed and you want to have the possibility for BT to investigate if it gets still lower. And getting BT to allow that requires intervention by your friendly ISP (and the best of luck to them). During the 10 day period, the line may disconnect more frequently than (you hope) it will after that. But that is only so BT can determine the Fault Threshold Rate. It has no long term effect on your sync speed or profile.

For further details, see Maximum Stable Rate on this page
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

mark

Thanks for your replies and advice, which have given me more information to examine my options. I also found a post started by kinmel who has experienced similar problems. I've had a look at Andrews and Arnold and it seems that they are prepared to investigate the problem on my behalf. They suggest that may have more influence with BT than IDNet. It appears I have absolutely nothing to lose by migrating again. I'll be requesting a MAC at the end of the month. They do say 'never go back'.

Rik

It's worth a try, but bear in mind all ISPs are handicapped from today. They can no longer perform detailed tests, only a pass/fail test.
Rik
--------------------