Outage and Next Steps

Started by Tacitus, Mar 11, 2011, 13:51:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Quote from: Gary on Mar 16, 2011, 10:14:38
I am in the same boat we have talktalk LLU so Xilo reselling would be great but since its full LLU and has no phone package its not worth it, if IDNet resold CPW/Opal LLU like Xilo but you still had a phone package I think many would be interested.

Xilo is in the process of getting setup with Opal/TTB to use their kit for partial LLU, so you can keep your voice with IDNet (or BT, etc) and still use the TalkTalk LLU network for broadband. Some other providers already offer this, Vivaciti being one of them, however they use O-Bit as their wholesaler and the O-Bit network leaves much to be desired in comparison to the Murphx network Xilo uses.
Adam

Adam

I'm quite surprised IDNet has not managed to find an alternative supplier. There are other wholesale options out there, for example BE Wholesale and TalkTalk Business, that are being used by other ISPs similar to IDNet. AAISP being the prime example I'm thinking of with their BE Wholesale products, and I'm sure TalkTalk Business are open to direct access rather than resale as they already do it with O-Bit and Murphx.

Admittedly there are many other factors and unknowns which may have pushed IDNet away from the above options but it is a shame no alternative solution could be found. As it stands the only downside to IDNet is the use of the BTwholesale products and network.
Adam

Technical Ben

Well. Most of us agree it's not the fact they use BT Wholesale, but that there is not a more expansive network. If BT wholesale rolled out ASDL2+ across the board, half of the problem would be gone. The other half is the reliability of what is there. I agree it's tempting to move to a more reliable network then. But only if one can be found.  ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

BT need putting out of their misery, Ben, and a competent company should be brought in to run their network. Last night's problem was exactly the same issue as before, and BT assured IDNet then that they had found and fixed the cause.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

How many of the alternative suppliers have a presence in each exchange?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

That's the big problem. Only BT can offer some kind of service at every exchange.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Indeed, Rik, I only have BT in my exchange and with only about 1600 subscribers, I can't see anyone else being interested in having a presence there. :(
Ray
--------------------

Rik

That's the heart of the problem, Ray. For smaller ISPs, the cost of offering choice where it's available must be a very delicate financial balancing act.
Rik
--------------------

Adam

That's actually one area Opal/TTB seem to have managed well, beside having the largest LLU presence they also claim to offer IPStream and WBC for areas not covered by their network.
Adam

Gary

Quote from: Adam on Mar 16, 2011, 12:12:12
Xilo is in the process of getting setup with Opal/TTB to use their kit for partial LLU, so you can keep your voice with IDNet (or BT, etc) and still use the TalkTalk LLU network for broadband. Some other providers already offer this, Vivaciti being one of them, however they use O-Bit as their wholesaler and the O-Bit network leaves much to be desired in comparison to the Murphx network Xilo uses.
Looked on thier forums and no mention, of this yet, well I could not find it, it would be great but I would prefer IDNet to do the same simply as it would be easier, but if Xilo do get that together I will be off simply because I will get better speeds, and upload speed is now important because I'm using a few cloud storage services. Xilo said I should manage 14Mbps, now which would be fantastic, pay the same get monthly contract (have to pay to get out though)  I like IDNet but I am never going to get adsl2 here or FTTC. Like ray we have about 1600 users on the exchange but CPW stepped in and put in LLU so using a reseller is my only hope of a more reliable and faster service.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Jovin

Oh please not Opal LLU! The problems I had when Nildram became part of Tiscali LLU and then later became part of Opal.....and getting away from them was a nightmare and took 2 weeks before Idnet could sort it and I got Internet back.

Adam

Quote from: Jovin on Mar 17, 2011, 15:16:09
Oh please not Opal LLU! The problems I had when Nildram became part of Tiscali LLU and then later became part of Opal.....and getting away from them was a nightmare and took 2 weeks before Idnet could sort it and I got Internet back.

Using Opal/TTB direct is entirely different than using their LLU network via someone like Murphx. Suppliers interconnect with Opal in the same way they do with BTwholesale and the quality can vary just like an ISP using the BTwholesale network. Comparing Opal/TTB direct to Xilo is the equivalent of comparing BT Retail/Business with IDNet.

However I do agree that it can be difficult to leave full LLU due to the costs and downtime usually involved. I have experienced it first hand and would not recommend full LLU. Partial LLU through Opal is much more interesting though as you can simply migrate away using a MAC and you get the benefits of their LLU network (no DLM or profiling for one).
Adam

Tacitus

Quote from: Adam on Mar 17, 2011, 22:05:13
Partial LLU through Opal is much more interesting though as you can simply migrate away using a MAC and you get the benefits of their LLU network (no DLM or profiling for one).

I think that's why a lot of people were hoping that iDNet could do something similar to Xilo.  A connection to an LLU network with no BT profiling and iDNet's quality of service, would be an attractive proposition if it could be done at a competitive price.

sparkler

ive only got BT here and i just left stalkstalk and i hope if idnet do use opal that they make sure they don't spy on us

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/26/talktalk_stalkstalk/

Tacitus

Quote from: sparkler on Mar 18, 2011, 13:09:22
ive only got BT here and i just left stalkstalk and i hope if idnet do use opal that they make sure they don't spy on us
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/26/talktalk_stalkstalk/

Might be worth asking Xilo whether CPW still use this on their wholesale offering.  If they do I could see them being rather embarrassed.