Some of Oxford St & Soho without BB

Started by Glenn, Dec 21, 2010, 14:37:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

A flood and fire in one of BT's major exchanges in London's west end has left stores on Oxford Street and Regent Street unable to process card payments in the last few shopping days before Christams.

The small blaze overnight at the Gerrard Street facility in Soho has left thousands of businesses without broadband and telephone access. BT has posted a picture of the damage here.

The electrical fire was caused by water, which BT said came from premises adjacent to the exchange*.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/21/bt_fire/
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Oh dear.

That won't be fixed overnight.

DorsetBoy

Stop putting equipment in basements ...........

pctech

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Dec 21, 2010, 15:08:54
Stop putting equipment in basements ...........

It is the most secure place.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: pctech on Dec 21, 2010, 15:12:14
It is the most secure place.

and the one most likely to suffer flooding and water damage.

pctech

kinmel

That fuse didn't do it's job, did it !
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

kinmel

If you look at the first photo in that set of three on Flickr there has been a short to the earthed trunking from all 3 power phases and still no fuses blew.

Photo 3 shows how deep the water was, if the equipment itself has no redundancy, then surely the basement would have massive drains, or pumps.

Surely

and the cause is not water entering from adjoining premises, but failure to protect critical infrastructure from foreseeable event.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

The third image is from the March 2010 fiasco at Paddington Green, not this event but does illustrate the risks of positioning in an underground tank.

Glenn

Recently the Shell building in London had it's basement flooded, Shell declined to comment if the servers located there were affected. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/19/shell_centre_eels/
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

esh

Force them to store all their servers at the bottom of a lake. They'll have to account for leaks then!

Right?
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Rik
--------------------