Using IDNET to relay outgoing e-mail

Started by manutdfan1988, May 30, 2011, 17:11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

manutdfan1988

I was wondering if the above was possible, I have a CentOS 5.5 server which I use for a few websites and an email server.

However from previous experience setting up an email server to send mail directly out to the web is fraught with SPAM issues, even if the rDNS pointers are setup correctly a lot of email servers still seem to reject the mail.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience setting this up and if so how to go about it.

The main SMTP server smtp.idnet.com doesn't seem to accept mail without authentication, I have tried manually setting one of my email accounts in Thunderbird to use it to relay and it fails. I did also try using my broadband connection info as login for the server but though this was a bit of a long shot.

Aaron

Rik

Hi Aaron and welcome to the forum.  :welc5: :karma:

I know some members are running mail servers, so hang around and one will be along to advise shortly.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

esh

I'm not entirely sure of your problem. Are you saying you can't use smtp.idnet because of what you are doing, or you can't get it to work? You can use the email account settings to authenticate with smtp.idnet, not your broadband login. I use this method to send emails when away from this connection using Thunderbird, and my server also sends me a report every morning by logging into smtp.idnet with my credentials using Python.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

psp83

What mail do you use on your server?

I use postfix on my server and this sends email out through my own domain name that requires authentication & has no problem.

manutdfan1988

Cheers for the welcome guys.

Maybe I was a bit confusing in the description, I don't actually have an IDNet email account. I wanted to send email from my domain but through IDNet's SMTP server if possible.

I used sendmail previously on an old server and had all sorts of issue with mail being returned. I am installing Postfix on my new box, so maybe this will be ok.

psp83

Quote from: manutdfan1988 on May 30, 2011, 21:30:29
Cheers for the welcome guys.

Maybe I was a bit confusing in the description, I don't actually have an IDNet email account. I wanted to send email from my domain but through IDNet's SMTP server if possible.

I used sendmail previously on an old server and had all sorts of issue with mail being returned. I am installing Postfix on my new box, so maybe this will be ok.

from how I understand how idnet email works is that you need a idnet email account to send through there SMTP.

so when sending email you will need to use <youremail>@idnet.com & your password to be allowed to send email.

Simon

I'm still not sure if mail from a non-IDNet domain could be sent from a non-IDNet connection, even using authentication.   But, I could be wrong.
Simon.
--

psp83

Quote from: Simon on May 30, 2011, 23:17:53
I'm still not sure if mail from a non-IDNet domain could be sent from a non-IDNet connection, even using authentication.   But, I could be wrong.

I'm sure it be fine to send an email if your not connected to IDnet at the time, otherwise it'll be pointless for laptops. e.g. if you are at the cafe and want to send an email. but I might be wrong as I don't use IDnet email.

But to send an email through IDnet's SMTP server you will need a valid IDnet email address and password so you can pass the authentication.

JB

Quote from: psp83 on May 30, 2011, 23:37:12
But to send an email through IDnet's SMTP server you will need a valid IDnet email address and password so you can pass the authentication.

I can confirm this. In fact you can't even upload to your IDNet web space unless you are coming from an IDNet log in. If I try it from Spain using Telefonica, although my log in details are correct it won't accept the connection. I have to VPN to home and do it that way.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'