Who stole my speed?

Started by Niall, Jan 17, 2011, 20:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Plus there had been no mention at all of food in the thread up to that point. >:D
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

I must have slipped up. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Well this room is all spotless now *deep breath* ahh fresh :D

I've unplugged all unneeded cabling (laptop power pack, wireless mouse hub & graders to defluff my noggin :D). I've checked everything else too and there seems to be no issues at my end, so I'll just leave it for now.

I've got 8mb and just under 1mb up (800Kb/Sec-ish), which is just about acceptable for uploading photos. Strange really as this is more or less the profile I used to get when I was on ADSL max (or whatever the 8mb thingy is called :D).

Anyhoo, I'll watch the situation over the week and see what happens. As it's stable, that's the most important thing really.

Now, where's the foot off my desk chair gone?
* Niall crawls off on hands and knees looking for missing bits
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Rik
--------------------

armadillo

Quote from: Rik on Jan 22, 2011, 16:43:54
It's the magic we weave across the forum, Dill, everyone loses their short-term memory and becomes disorientated. ;)

Is this a forum?  Were we talking about magic? And who is Dill? Happy Christmas. Where am I?

Rik

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Hmm, my speeds are refusing to recover to previous awesomeness and my line just dropped. Something is amiss in the world of tinterwebs.

Tue, 2011-01-25 18:53:28 - LCP down.
Tue, 2011-01-25 18:53:37 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2011-01-25 18:53:37 - LCP is allowed to come up.

That's all my logs show.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Niall

Actually, looking back:

Tue, 2011-01-25 18:33:58 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2011-01-25 18:33:58 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2011-01-25 18:33:58 - CHAP authentication success

Tue, 2011-01-25 18:23:59 - LCP down.
Tue, 2011-01-25 18:24:09 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2011-01-25 18:24:09 - LCP is allowed to come up.

The rest of the logs show nothing, going back to 2pm today. Wish my router kept better logs.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Glenn

It's happening in the future.
Glenn
--------------------

Niall

I just noticed that. I changed the time on this thing last week too. For some reason the router refuses to keep the correct time.

{edit} Actually, it's showing it's set to the correct time. I have no idea why the logs are showing the incorrect time.

I might buy a new router. That annoys me.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Glenn

I believe it shows a sync problem between your router and the exchange.
Glenn
--------------------

Niall

Quote from: Glenn on Jan 25, 2011, 18:03:38
I believe it shows a sync problem between your router and the exchange.

I may send an email to support then. Something around here went tits up about 3 weeks ago, and since then my line has been like this (I assume as I only checked when I posted this thread. My sisters other half had to get idnet to reset the line, which worked for them, but sadly it's done nothing for me).
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Glenn

You will need to connect the router to the test connector behind master socket face plate. then monitor the line. If the problem still exists, try another router if you have/can borrow one
Glenn
--------------------

Niall

Out of curiosity, can this sort of thing be caused by a dying router?

Just wondering as I've ruled everything out on my side a while ago. As I mentioned, there is on occasion around this area, a lot of noise on the line. When this happens, my sisters line which is on the same exchange, and is half a mile from here, drops completely and becomes unusable when it comes back up. When this happens to them, my line drops in speed. My sisters line just had a reset done on it and is working fine. Mine however seems to have not recovered from it. Normally it does so within a week, but I'm just concerned as it's not even showing any sign of recovery this time.

If there is anything wrong on my line, I'm never at home when it's happening, as tonight was the first time it's dropped while I'm at home. My logs show nothing from 2pm onwards today but I think that's just as far back as the router logs go, time wise.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

It's possible, Niall.

How are you judging that there's a lot of noise on the line?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

It's actually a lot of noise on the phone line, rather than the broadband I was referring to. Helps if I mention that I suppose ;D

Tue, 2011-01-25 19:25:37 - LCP down.
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:25:46 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:25:46 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:25:46 - CHAP authentication successDestination:212.69.51.69,50649 - [Any(ALL) rule not match]
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:30:56 - LCP down.
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:31:05 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:31:05 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2011-01-25 19:31:06 - CHAP authentication success

Seems to be doing it more and more. This isn't good :o
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Glenn

So you can hear the noise when making a call? If so report it to your service provider, BT, IDNet or whoever it maybe, don't mention your BB connection though.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

It doesn't. Deal with that first, then try to resolve the ADSL. There's no point in even thinking about the latter if the line is audibly noisy as there's nothing an ISP can do at that point.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Argh, this is why I didn't want to mention that :D

The phone line issue is only relevant to when the problem in the area pops up at my sisters. My line has no noise on it most of the time. VERY occasionally I do hear a bit, but it's been like that for years. Connection wise, my line has been rock solid stable since ADSL came out in Wrexham.

I've just had a word with my sisters other half and he's just said that the external lines (to his house) were corroded, but he didn't say if that's what the problem was last week. Only IDnet can tell you that, as he's just very helpfully gone offline as I was about to ask him, and he's on a train somewhere!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Quote from: Niall on Jan 25, 2011, 18:34:13
It's actually a lot of noise on the phone line, rather than the broadband I was referring to. Helps if I mention that I suppose ;D

So whose line were you referring to Niall?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Erm, wuh? :D

My line (ADSL) is currently at 7mb and dropping. I was only pointing out that it happened at the same time my sisters line went wonky, to point to a possible exchange issue.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

OK, now you've really confused me. ;D Are you saying there's audible noise on your line, or that the problem is merely broadband related?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

For the purposes of this conversation, my broadband is pants :D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

And you've done all the normal stuff of moving to the test socket, changing filters etc?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I have no filters to change. All I can do is try the test socket thing, but I'll wait for support to get back to me, just incase they know something I don't.

Obviously there are two things that could be a problem here (well, three now I think about it). My router is pants, which even though it's not ace, I think it's not the problem. The exchange has something going on, which is entirely possible, but god knows how I'd find that out. The actual line is degrading, which could explain an almost 50% drop in speed, although it seems a bit much of a drop for a sudden line degradation issue.

I'll wait for my reply from support and then see what's what.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy