Started by Broadback, Jan 21, 2011, 10:38:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I wish to configure the ethernet on the above box. this requires:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Router Address
DNS Address

I use a 2700, how do I find this information please? Make it simple, preferably one syllable words!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Rik

The router address is 192.168.1.254, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. DNS can be the same as the router, which will then use IDNet's DNS if you're set to obtain the DNS automatically. The IP address needs to be an unused IP address from your pool, try 192.168.1.100.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I just plugged mine into the router and let it pick up the details automatically.
Lance
_____

pctech

I have got one of these recently too (the recording variety) but not networked it but does look like it should just use DHCP to retrieve the details.

Broadback

Thanks for all the tips. I have tried auto set as well as Rik's suggested settings to no avail. I have tried using the home plug adapters and a direct cable, nothing works. Also my TV (panasonic) fails as well. Now I am certain that some time ago I connected to BBC iPlayer with my TV, but it fails now, I wonder where I am going wrong. I'll try another day my head spins at the moment.

Lance

Have you tried different cables or a different port on the router?
Lance
_____

Broadback

I have tried the home plug adapters and a direct cable connection, which is a different cable than the home plugs.

Lance

But have you also tried a different port in the router?
Lance
_____

Broadback

Yep, I tried differing ports for the direct cable and the home plug adapters.

Rik

Can your router see the Humax when it's connected, BB?
Rik
--------------------

drummer

I had a friend phone me about the same thing and, after faffing around for about an hour, I suggested he try a new cable.  It connected straight away, so it's at least worth a punt.
To stay is death but to flee is life.

nowster

DHCP works, but it can take up to a minute for it to work. Check that your homeplug actually has a reliable link to its partner.

Broadback

Today I can get BBC iPlayer working on both the Foxsat and the Panasonic TV. On the TV it can also recognise my PC, both "me" and Admin.  However when I attempt to connect to the PC it fails with "Connection to the server failed". As I would like to view some of my photographs this way can anyone point me in the right direction please?

nowster

Quote from: Broadback on Jan 22, 2011, 13:45:28However when I attempt to connect to the PC it fails with "Connection to the server failed". As I would like to view some of my photographs this way can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Connect with what? The Foxsat wouldn't be able to do it, so I'm assuming it's your TV.

Do you know what protocol the TV is expecting to use to talk to the PC?

pctech

The Humax Box needs to connect directly to your router BB.

It won't woirk if you connect it to an ethernet port on your TV if it has one as by default the box will be looking for a DHCP server.

Broadback

All I can accertin is that it needs a DNLI Certified server. It is able to exchange a certain ammount of information with my PC, as it knows there is "me" and Admin. Both the Humax and my Panasonic TV can now access BBC's iPlayer.

Steve

You need some DLNA compliant software on the PC , such as WMP 12 which I believe comes with Windows 7
Steve
------------

Ray

What OS are you using on your PC, BB? if you are using Windows you should be able to stream your photos etc. to you your TV using Windows Media Player V11 or better. This acts as a DNLA server which is what most ethernet enabled TVs are expecting to connect to, it certainly works with my Samsung TV.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Broadback

Thanks folk, that will keep me busy for a while and out of your hair!

Broadback

If all else fails read the manual I decided to try the same connections on the Panasonic Blue-ray player, while studying the manual a slip of paper fell out. This suggested I download and run TwonkyMedia. This I did and all now works. Thanks again for all your help.

Ray

:thumb: good to hear that you finally got it working, BB.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

I've used Twonky in the past and yes it does work as a DLNA server,wished I'd mentioned it earlier but I thought it was not free and Windows Media Player is FOC for most .
Steve
------------

Ray

I don't think it is free, Steve, I looked at it for my WHS then found out I could install WMP 11 on it so I used that instead.
Ray
--------------------