Fears over media ministry control of broadband

Started by Simon, Jan 20, 2011, 21:45:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Industry officials and politicians have hit out over the decision to move governmental responsibility for telecoms, broadband provision and internet policy to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).

The Government has announced that the entire digital economy remit will be shifted from the Department for Business Innovation and Skills to the DCMS, but the move has been criticised as a marriage of convenience that could damage the UK's technology future.

"Moving the entire responsibility to the DCMS is a huge concern," Chi Onwurah, MP for Newcastle Central, told PC Pro. "I've just been in DCMS questions and it was almost entirely about sport and libraries - yet that's where will have the debates on the digital economy and that is really worrying."

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/364540/fears-over-media-ministry-control-of-broadband
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

I think he's absolutely right

High speed access could be a really useful business tool, its not about just being able to stream video and TV.

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Jan 20, 2011, 21:58:46
I think he's absolutely right

High speed access could be a really useful business tool, its not about just being able to stream video and TV.

Well, as long as it's not BT pulling the strings cables.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Let's face it, it's just a transfer from one ministry which knows nothing to another one with the same skills set. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.