O2 plans UK-wide wi-fi network

Started by DorsetBoy, Jan 26, 2011, 14:00:05

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetBoy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12285558

QuoteMobile operator O2 is launching free wireless in the UK, which it promises will be double the size of existing networks by 2013.

Initially the hotspots will be available in 450 O2-owned sites but will be expanded to other locations, including shops and restaurants.

Previously O2 had offered free wi-fi on some of its tariffs via BT Openzone and The Cloud.

The Cloud is rumoured to be close to sealing a buy-out deal with Sky............ (more)

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DorsetBoy

They want you to like their service and by a MiFi dongle from them for use where there are no free hotspots.

Simon

It will be interesting to see how it pans out, and whether the free service is offering usable speeds. 
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Jan 26, 2011, 14:07:52
It will be interesting to see how it pans out, and whether the free service is offering usable speeds. 
I am happy with the BT hotspots I have with them tbh.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Simon on Jan 26, 2011, 14:07:52

The only areas where I've used the Cloud service, it's been dog slow.  In fact the internet either via the normal data network or 3G has been significantly faster, so with the World + dog piling in if it's free, I don't hold out much hope of decent speeds ;D

Rik

A bit like being on the end of a BT line, eh Tac? ;D
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I suspect it'll be tied to a mobile phone account (if you don't have one, you don't get on)  with maybe a secondary SIM.

Simon

I think you'll get what you pay for.  ;)
Simon.
--

pctech

It'll be for their own customers only and is a cost saving measure as they won't need to pay the cloud anymore.

Rik

Quote from: Simon on Jan 26, 2011, 17:58:38
I think you'll get what you pay for.  ;)

In that case, I'll have a rump steak, rare, with Hollandaise sauce, chips and spinach. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jan 26, 2011, 17:20:50
A bit like being on the end of a BT line, eh Tac? ;D

In my experience it wasn't that good  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: pctech on Jan 26, 2011, 18:00:09
It'll be for their own customers only and is a cost saving measure as they won't need to pay the cloud anymore.

If you're with O2 you get the Cloud thrown in with the data package (Bolt-on to use their parlance)

Rik

I've got quite enough clouds already - where's the sun gone?  :(
Rik
--------------------

Lance

I've used the cloud on several occasions, including most recently at Lakeside which is a large and busy shopping centre. I've never had slow service from them.
Lance
_____

Tacitus

Quote from: Lance on Jan 26, 2011, 22:49:43
I've used the cloud on several occasions, including most recently at Lakeside which is a large and busy shopping centre. I've never had slow service from them.

Must be the areas I frequent.  I'm often in the centre of Birmingham and have found both the Cloud service in the Bull Ring and the Openzone round New Street station to be pretty poor.  In the Bull Ring, even early morning on a Saturday when I would expect few people to be using it, I've often found it to be more or less unusable.

pctech

Quote from: Tacitus on Jan 26, 2011, 18:49:27
If you're with O2 you get the Cloud thrown in with the data package (Bolt-on to use their parlance)

Yes but they have to pay the Cloud to allow their customers to use the network, if they build their own they won't have to.

Tacitus

Quote from: pctech on Jan 27, 2011, 10:26:23
Yes but they have to pay the Cloud to allow their customers to use the network, if they build their own they won't have to.

I thought they owned the Cloud.

Rik

I thought the Met Office owned the cloud, at least that's who I've been blaming for all this greyness. ;D :out:
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Jan 27, 2011, 11:51:09
I thought the Met Office owned the cloud, at least that's who I've been blaming for all this greyness. ;D :out:

;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech