DGND3300 new firmware available over auto update

Started by Gary, Jan 26, 2011, 08:41:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Version 2.1.00.48 adds new features including a DLNA media server.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Ardua

Having made the decision - right or wrong - to purchase a Netgear DGN3300 yesterday (I actually went to get a DGN2200 but they didn't have one in stock in PC World!), I found that I couldn't update the firmware either manually or via the auto update.   When I raised a technical query with Netgear support, the answer that I got back was along the lines of 'why do you want to do a firmware update as version .48 is very buggy?' I pointed that he was doing little to convince me to keep the product  - equally, the fact that the router was failing to accept the v.48 update wasn't giving me any reassurance whatsoever that I would be able to upgrade the firmware in the future.

With the help of 'Google' and a complete router factory re-set and re-install of devices, the router is now working fine and it has accepted a manual update of v.48 via my Mac OSX desktop.

I am sure that other manufacturers have similar support issues but Netgear is now off my Christmas card list.

Just so that others know, I did have some difficulty getting my Blackberry Bold 9700 to connect to the BIS. This is a known problem with some makes of router. I failed with Push to Connect but manual insertion of the BB's Mac address into the router set up has worked fine.

Now if BT would just connect my exchange to ADLS2+ as promised this month .....

Rik

You never know, they've been doing a lot of work lately.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Oddly, this router I have now refused to accept firmware updates until the most recent one came out. I've no idea why, but I tried no end of times to update this 834G without success, then when the last one came out, it just worked perfectly.

Although oddly, my router no longer keeps the correct time. It's always an hour out.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Is there a checkbox somewhere for daylight saving time, Niall?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Yeah, it's all set correctly. I've tried unchecking it too incase it's working in reverse ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Try using a different time server (though istr that I had a Netgear which did this).
Rik
--------------------