Virgin introduces throttling

Started by Lance, May 09, 2007, 12:15:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

As reported on El Reg, Virgin is bringing in throttling for its network. I suppose you could say that at least it is being honest and clear about the criteria!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

I saw the report, Lance, and my first thought was "good for them." As you say, they are being honest about exactly what they are doing, and that's refreshing in the world of 'unlimited 8Mbps' advertising that so many of the big players indulge in.

I also feel that they are doing it 'for the greater good', from the way I read the report, it will mean the network will be more responsive to the average user, only impacting on heavy downloaders during the evening.

Of course, there is always the argument that they should provide capacity for peak demand, but people who need that cam come to IDNet. :) :out:
Rik
--------------------

Adam

I think the limits set by Virgin are a little low tbh. It'd be possible to hit the limit just watching a few hours of 4oD or downloading music from iTunes. It is unreasonable to expect them to offer limitless capacity, but perhaps looking at actual usage and working out a happy medium would be a better approach.
Adam

Rik

I'd hope they would have looked at usage patterns before deciding the threshold. If they haven't, they are likely to see mass migration. Perhaps we should ask Simon and Tim to put a two-month wait on all customers moving from Virgin, so that they can order a new central? :)
Rik
--------------------

Supanova

Whenever i see the words virgin broadband 4 words of advice pop onto my keyboard.

Avoid
The
Plaugue

The fact that they are introducing throttling will make not a jot of difference. Im throttled as it is!

My pings are ENORMOUS every single evening and not much better during the day, settling at a max of 340ms every single evening!

FPS games are a total no-go area so im reduced to constant RTS

Im a heavy gamer and IDnet pings are looking very very attractive....

I think il give virgin a ring and squash a migration code out of them ...
"Privacy is dead, deal with it" - CEO Sun MicroSystems

Rik

You'd be very welcome here, we tend to be a happy bunch with our connections, what problems we have are usually called BT. :)
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

;D ;D

Welcome aboard Supanova!

I am sure you will find things much more to your liking with Idnet,the support is done by real people and you also get to mix with the Idnetters ;)

Rik

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Jun 16, 2007, 17:27:11
you also get to mix with the Idnetters ;)

Hang on, Dorset, we don't want to scare him off too soon!  :laugh:
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

Y'know I still prefer IDNutters as a description, to Netters!!  ;D ;D
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

You have a point, Mo. Many's the thread that reads like a Goon Show script.  :laugh:
Rik
--------------------

Supanova

hehe thanks for the welcome guys :)

Virgin was fantastic until NTL took over and now its dreadful 

finally enough is enough :) Migration code arriving within 5 days (yipee!  ;D)

hopefully il be joining the 'netters' soon  :P

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zimmerframe

Quote from: Supanova on Jun 16, 2007, 17:17:00
Whenever i see the words virgin broadband 4 words of advice pop onto my keyboard.

Avoid
The
Plaugue

The fact that they are introducing throttling will make not a jot of difference. Im throttled as it is!

My pings are ENORMOUS every single evening and not much better during the day, settling at a max of 340ms every single evening!

FPS games are a total no-go area so im reduced to constant RTS

Im a heavy gamer and IDnet pings are looking very very attractive....

I think il give virgin a ring and squash a migration code out of them ...

I left Virgin last october after nearly 10 years with them.  Reasons were pretty much as you describe.  Joining Idnet was a breath of fresh air.  I could play on-line in the evenings again. 

My son has recently taken out Virgin Medias 2Mb cable/TV/phone package and he hasent reported any problems as yet.  But; thats cable.  For us telephone line users, Throttling is awful.

Join IDNET, you won't be dissapointed :)

If The World Didnt Suck, We'd all Fall Off

Supanova

excellent :) cant wait! i'm a telephone line user myself (cable stops 50Metres down the road -.- ) however i have a friend also on virgin on Cable and he has exactly the same trouble, though to a slightly lesser extent. I'll have to post my speeds on virgin compared to my speeds on IDnet when i finally get it. should be interesting to see the results.

zimmerframe

You will be very pleasently suprised.  Good luck and hopefully see you with Idnet very soon :)

Supanova

oh my word...

this is what happens when you introduce throttling on a really cr*p ISP. This test was done at peak time 9:00PM. Bear in mind i am paying £25 a month for an "up to 8MB download speed"

My up speed is faster than my down! how screwed up is that!

see attachment for socking speedtest. How Are they allowed to get away with this?!!! watchdog please!

[attachment deleted by admin]

zimmerframe

Exactly what I was seeing when I up't and left last year.  I would suspect that a lot of thier members aren't even aware of whats happening.  I too was paying a premium price for what was a dial up service.

No regrets at all on leaving them and finding this peach of an ISP :)

Rik

Quote from: Supanova on Jun 18, 2007, 21:01:54
watchdog please!

First give it some teeth - and the will to use them. :(
Rik
--------------------

lumi

well im leaving virgin cable after poor service and high packet loss, all coinciding with the name change.

it was the last straw.

had been told ubr was oversubscribed in april 06  then fixed.. then again in november (bad pings and PL) over subscribed  again somehow.
then it goes worst ever after name change.

didnt have one year where something didnt go wrong. and took1-2 months to fix if not more.

after no call back and constant phoning  over 2 weeks i eventually got to speak to level 2 support who said oh your ubr is oversubscribed...again!. that was in feb..still on going.

At name launch my and other from grimsby leeds liverpool herts south wales all at same time all experince high packet loss. and virgin denied anything wrong!

some have got better  mine came down from 20% to 8% peak time and this was obviously imo while they installed all the traffic managment stuff which they said was only being trailed in certain areas, as well as rerouting n joining both blueY and ntl.

if this helps the network how come its still bad for alot of VM people still with packet loss..maybe theres just too many oversubscribed ubrs where traffic managment still dosent help?? (my connection terminates in about 20 odd days)

...pant pant! yes im really annoyed at em.

offered me £25 fixed for 10 years to stay..( was only paying half price as it was due to the issues i had raised..my reply what for? i dont need 10-20 meg i need stabilty and no PL so i can game.

was on 4 meg but 750meg dl before throttle was too little imo..10 cost too much has 3 gig limit.

wish they would state in there ads though ..u know one where they say adsl gets slower the further u are from exchange..etc etc to include the more you download the slower virgin will go. just so people are informed.

have no objection to that mind you.. if its a heavy downloader then throttle at peak times. so i can game :) just for 4 meg 750meg, thats one patch in some cases. i dont do it often so dont want to be throttled to 2 meg  when i do.

tried eclipse for cheap line for gaming..but got random high pings to jolt n quicknet both at same time..noone able to sort that, plus speeds of below 1meg gradually going to 3 in evening.

now with idnet good pings most imp NO PL yay!  both uk and europe and stable..after some bt work at 5.5- 6.5 meg

good service so far n friendly so im staying. just keep it up idnet.

ok kinda ranted there but was nice to get it off me chest :)

DorsetBoy

;D ;D

Welcome aboard,nice to know you feel better now!
At least you know you will always get help here if you need it.Hope you will join in with the madhouse here,you will always be welcome :D

Lance

Welcome to the forum lumi, and the happy place that is IDNet!
Lance
_____

Rik

Make that a third welcome, Lumi. :)
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

And another welcome to you.  Hope you find the forum as strange as it has always been. ;D
------
Alf :)

lumi

john

From one recent convert to another I'd also like to add my welcome Lumi. I've only been here a week but it's been a revelation compared to my previous ISP. I'm sure we've made the right decision. :)